• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

Moon Illusion to Supersize Saturday Lunar Eclipse

Sookie

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
<cite class="vcard"></cite>
lunar-eclipse-pd.jpg
<cite class="vcard"> SPACE.com Staff Space.com Staff </cite>-<abbr title="2010-06-25T09:45:07-0700" class="timedate">Fri Jun 25, 12:45 pm ET</abbr> A partial set to occur early Saturday should look particularly stunning to observers in parts of North America thanks to an optical illusion that will make the moon look bigger than normal. The moon will pass through part of , temporarily becoming dark, starting at 6:17 a.m. EDT (1017 GMT) Saturday morning. That cosmic line-up coincides with the and a so-called moon illusion that, weather permitting, should offer quite a show, according to a NASA announcement. For observers in the central and western United States, the will occur while the moon is still close to the horizon. The begins after the moon has set for observers in the eastern United States. ( shows how the moon will appear during Saturday's three-hour partial lunar eclipse.) Even though only 54 percent of the moon's diameter will be covered during the moment of greatest eclipse (around 7:38 a.m. EDT, 1138 GMT), the sight will appear magnified in size and charm by the moon illusion. [] Scientists aren't completely sure why, but tend to look exceptionally large. When the moon beams through trees, buildings and other foreground objects close to the horizon, it often appears to be much larger than when it shines from overhead. Even though cameras prove that low moons are no wider than any other moons, the human brain insists otherwise. The moon will be most picturesque in the western and central parts of the United States where the moon will be setting as the eclipse reaches maximum. Viewers there should look low and to the west just before dawn to catch the best sight. The same phenomenon will be visible to observers in India, Japan, and parts of East Asia. The eclipse will occur there on Saturday evening as the moon is rising, with the same illusion in full force. However, in the islands of the South Pacific, the moon will be hanging directly overhead in the midnight sky, so the horizon illusion won't add to the effect. People in New England and northeastern Canada will just miss being able to see the eclipse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sookie

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
its so cool- i went outside right when it started and it looked like someone is slowly eating the moon from the top- its supposed to go 1/2 way across and its not there yet so im going back out to watch some more
biggrin.gif

Pokerhontas

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
Hmm, sounds interesting, I've been hearing that in the news..too bad Im missed it..I was asleeep. Oh well."
Also according to NASA the next lunar eclipse will occur on 2015. This is when we experience a blood red moon caused by a rare eclipse of the sun and the moon called the Tedrad. This I would'nt wanna miss. lol."
"

Sookie

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
for that info- im gonna mark it on my calender because it was awesome watching the partial one last night - no way im gonna miss the next one!