1. Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

$50 HALLOWEEN/THANKSGIVING CONTEST ~ FREE TO ENTER ~ CLOSES 11-29-12

Discussion in 'CLOSED FORUM CONTESTS' started by Mben, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Mben

Mben No Deposit Forum Admin Staff Member

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]   [​IMG]   [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]-- Edited by Mben on Tuesday 30th of October 2012 03:53:49 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014
  2. johntang

johntang Banned

Great event ;)
  3. krystalkitty

krystalkitty Greedy Gambler

The most memorable Thanksgiving?? Cooking Thanksgiving turkey overnight.....15lb turned into a 2lb turkey! 7684
  4. PSP

PSP Ruler of Western Civilization's Geeky Nerds

My most memorable Thanksgiving 1988 -  As I'm sure many of you have experienced, Thanksgiving can be a VERY stressful holiday.  This was going to be the 8<sup>th</sup> Thanksgiving since our older daughter was born and virtually all of the holidays since she was born turned into the battle of the in-laws. Kristin was the first grandchild on both sides, so the pressure was on from both sides - guilt trips galore! There was no way that we could possibly satisfy both sides and there was going to be hell to pay whichever way we went, so I came up with a bold plan - get the fornicate out of town for Thanksgiving! Shockingly, my wife actually went for it, so I made reservations to go to our favorite resort for the entire week - Club Med in Ixtapa, Guerrero, Mexico. I'm sure most of you have heard the wild stories of drunken debauchery, etc.,  but in reality they were almost all true!  Just kidding - this one was the family village. Most of the people there were younger couples with small children in the same predicament as we were. The big attractions were the watersports - sailing, snorkeling, windsurfing - and the beach.  We had a GREAT time! The village held a total of 750 guests, virtually all of which were Americans with a few Canadians thrown in for good measure (the Canadians REALLY know how to party, but that's another story).  Club Med is a French company with villages all over the world. A majority of the head people in the village including the Chief of the village and the Head Chef were directly from France. They had just arrived in Mexico a few weeks before for their first stint in North America. Unfortunately, they were not informed about and didn't understand Thanksgiving and had no idea what it meant to Americans. While most of the bosses were French, the majority of the GOs (the 20somethings who actually ran the activities) were either American or Canadian. They started to sense that there might be a problem brewing - there were no plans to do anything special for Thanksgiving, so a couple of the senior GOs tried to educate the Chief and the Head Chef about what the Americans expect for Thanksgiving. Their suggestions were heard to a degree, but... It's Thanksgiving Day! Right before the lunch, the Chief of the Village got on the microphone to wish everyone (in a very thick French accent) a Happy Thanksgiving and to announce that there was a BIG surprise at dinner! The rest of the day goes like any other day, but most of the guests were very excited about the Thanksgiving Feast that evening. Dinner was normally served buffet-style, but tonight was different. Everyone took their seats and waited. The Chief of the Village was on the stage and welcomed everyone to Thanksgiving Dinner! He expressed his pleasure to be able to host everyone for this special holiday and then introduced the Head Chef. The Head Chef proudly announced that he had researched Thanksgiving and prepared the 3 most important items of a Thanksgiving feast - turkey, stuffing and pumpkin pie. With that, he signaled the kitchen staff to bring out the feast! There was just one slight problem - for the over 700 Americans in the village, he had prepared 1 turkey, one casserole sized bowl of stuffing, and 2 pumpkin pies   :thumb: There was almost a riot! I have never laughed so hard in my life! You had to laugh. Here we are in a French resort ...IN Mexico ...filled with Americans - talk about a recipe for disaster! It was perfect - I wouldn't have changed anything! Ever since that day, our Thanksgiving feast includes spaghetti...   :roll: (Let's go with 1988 as the magic number - if I happen to win, the $50 will be donated to Toys for Tots)
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014
  5. PSP

PSP Ruler of Western Civilization's Geeky Nerds

[​IMG]
  6. Mben

Thank you both for starting the contest off!krystalkitty, how did a turkey 15lb turned into a 2lb turkey! :lol:Great story PSP .... and the Toys for Tots is such a nice charity. :thumb:
  7. daremeto

daremeto WELL KNOWN MEMBER

all is see is a bunch of pumpkings and turkey pics, i am guessing this contest is to be about what was our best thanksgiving ever. i think i will wait until i find out for sure that is what it is
  8. helwin

helwin WELL KNOWN MEMBER

i always love the turkey wing, but now have to just suck on it.
  9. Mben

Can you see the contest now? 
  10. slotgal47

slotgal47 WELL KNOWN MEMBER

This is embarassing but, I used to forget to take out the bag when cooking the turkey,lol. But now my family will tell you I make the best Thanksgiving dinner ever!! -- 3138
  11. omeg

omeg NEW MEMBER

:lol: I am not laughing at you slotgal47, I am laughing with you. I did that with a good sized chicken one time. :lol:Thanks for entering the contest, and good luck. :roll:
  12. peteyweestro

peteyweestro FANTASY FOOTBALL GUY

I guess i will say the best Thanksgiving i ever had was the first one after my son was born, because prior to that event i didn't much care nor respect life much but he changed all that and changed my life also. That was Thanksgiving 1998, and i am thankful more each year even though i struggle very mush still........1643 for me please
  13. Mben

These are great entries everyone!slotgal, don't you like that cooked in bag gizzards and lizards, I mean giblets, stuffed in turkey still taste? I think it adds flavor! lol JKpetey, children are little miracle workers. Glad to see he got you to get your life straight! lol
  14. Mikey7a

Mikey7a PHINSFAN NUMERO UNO

I can think of many great Thanksgiving stories, as I'm from a family of five children.The Big family ones when I was young were great. Everyone brought something, mygrandma usually did the bulk of the cooking, and back then everything was madefrom scratch! After dinner, the men and kids went to watch football, the ladies cleaned up. Those memories are among my favorites, but the best ThanksgivingI ever had, was in 2004, simply because it was to be the last I'd spend with my mom!Thanks for the Contest, Mikey2004 is my pick tyvm
  15. omeg

omeg NEW MEMBER

Awesome story Mikey7a.  Made me smile. :roll: Good luck in the contest.
  16. Mben

Thanks for entering Mikey with those great memories!
  17. Mben

One of my most memorable Thanksgiving feast was one that was not traditional at all. (kind of like PSP's story with spaghetti lol)Back about 15 years ago my mom decided that we were not going have the traditional turkey and all the fixings for Thanksgiving. Being that she was Japanese, she decided that we were going to have traditional Japanese food instead. We had sticky rice, sushi, gyoza, sukiyaki, cucumber salad, kimchi and everything else that that goes along with an American Thanksgiving .... Japanese style!Sukiyaki is a real Japanese dish by the way. It's not just a song. lol[​IMG]Here are some pictures of me and my family when I was just a kid. There were taken in Japan about 40 years ago. /download.spark?ID=1209906&aBID=89469My uncle, my mom, my grandma, me, my grandpa and my brother. /download.spark?ID=1209907&aBID=89469My mom and brother, her brother and me sitting around the dinner table and grandma and grandpa's house./download.spark?ID=1209908&aBID=89469My dad, my uncle, me and my brother with Mt Fuji in the background. /download.spark?ID=1209911&aBID=89469My beautiful mom. My mom was absolutely gorgous. I have other pictures of her back in the day and man, she had it going on! I love you mom and I thank you for making our Thanksgivings memorable ones! -- Edited by Mben on Saturday 3rd of November 2012 03:45:09 PM
  18. slotgal47

Beautiful pictures Mben! Your mom was beautiful, you have a lovely family!
  19. slotgal47

Meant to say, you look a lot like your mom.
  20. Mben

Thanks slotgal! Yeah, I took after my mom except for her pettiness . The German genes took over there. lolMy brother looks nothing like he is half Japanese. He has blonde hair and blue eyes from my dad. His boys are a quarter Japanese and they look albino. lol Not really albinos. Their mom is blonde and blue eyed so the boys don't have any traits that gives them away as being part Asian.
  21. Mben

Oh oh ... I forgot to say that this year's Thanksgiving will be very memorable also. I am going up to Boston for a week to spend Thanksgiving with my family who recently moved up there from Tucson, AZ!My dad just called me as I was writing this to advise me to bring a heavy coat for the trip. He said it's starting to get cold. I said What? I won't be able to wear shorts and flip flops when I'm there like i would here at home on Thanksgiving? lol Now I have to go see about buying a Parka in Tucson. lol I've never been to Boston and I can't wait to go! :clap:
  22. omeg

omeg NEW MEMBER

Wow Mben, Those pics are just awesome, and all your family is just truely beautiful. As far as your Mom goes? Yup, she had it going on for sure. Simply beautiful. :roll:Family is truely the greatest gift that ever was in my opinion.Thanks so much for sharing those pics, your family, and your story.I sure enjoyed it.Also, you will have just a terrific time while with your family in Boston, I just know it. A well deserved vacation.No worries of the forum, I will try not to burn it down while you are gone. :lol:
  23. Mben

Thanks Pam ... and thanks for not letting the forum burn down too! :wink: :lol:
  24. queenmap

queenmap WELL KNOWN MEMBER

My most memorable Thanksgiving is when my mom took out a 20 lb, frozen turkey to thaw. Well she placed it on our then glass dinner table and the glass actually shattered from the weight and probably the cold as well. OMG, needless to say we still enjoyed a nice family meal together as the bird went unharmed from the glass. We all ate in the livingroom that evening. LOLPick#6069
  25. omeg

omeg NEW MEMBER

As far as Holiday memories go, nothing to me is as precious as when I was a child.  My Mother was there, all my sisters, and my Grandparents.  Time was so simple back then, and my family knew the joy of celebrating the Holidays as we were blessed to be a family.The things that stick out in my memory still today is waking up at 6am, and smelling turkey in the oven already. I would sneek out into the kitchen and Mom would be there already working hard to prepare the feast for later in the day.  She would smile at me. I can still see it.  When I wake up even now on Thanksgiving day, and I smell that turkey, it makes me smile with that memory.I also remember the table and how it was set. We laid out our best china, and we used the best silver we had.  Everything matched. The table seemed so large to me, yet looking at that same table today, it doesnt seem so large at all.My sisters would rise, and Mom would give us all jobs to accomplish to help in preperation of the meal. We ate our dinner early, usually around 2pm. My Grandparents would arrive in the late morning, and Grandma would shoo all us kids out of the kitchen at that point and we would go play outside with Grandpa in the leaves or hide and seek.When dinner was ready, A prayer would be offered of Thanks to God for the food and family, and Grandpa would carve the bird.  I remember him standing over that bird with a knife and he was so serious, like doing surgury. haha.The table was simply full of food. I can close my eyes and still smell the aroma of turkey and dressing, see the steam coming off of the baked beans, and see the twinkle of the candles in the middle of the table.  It was a glorious time in our family.  We had our health, eachother, and times financially wern't so difficult as they are today. If I had one wish, I would travel back in time, to be able to sit at that table with all of them, once again. To re-experience the joys of that meal and family just one more time.I turned 12 in 1980, and Mom was killed by a drunk  driver heading home from work one night. Our lives were over as we knew them and all of us died a little on that night with her.  My Grandma was diagnosed with Leukemia that same year, and passed away not more than a year after that.  Grandpa, after losing his two favorite girls, became old quickly, and carried his broken heart everyday until he passed too several years later.As I look back today, it seems impossible those people arent here anymore. I went thru a long spell where Holidays were just a painful remonder of all I had lost and would never recapture again.The Lord is kind, and although we think our heart will just stop beating from being broken, it keeps right on going. My Sisters and I grew up, and then married, and the babies started to come.  It took me to realize, the same wonderful memories that I was able to experience as a child were done, but the new generation of family was now looking at us as adults to make their Holidays just as special.  It was only then that I realized, the Holidays were not gone forever as I once thought, they simple had evolved to a new generation.Gang, every day is a gift. Each day a opportunity to make memories and cherish family.  We are not promised tomorrow. Never let a day go by that you dont tell someone you love them.Thanksgiving is at my house this year.  Ill have about 12 people around my table, each of them that I love very much. Honestly, I can't wait.  My Mom and Grandparents were a wonderful role model about how Holidays should go. I hope I can be half as good as they were in making the Holidays memorable for this new generation.Here are some really old pics from a long time ago. (My Sisters would kill me if they knew I was posting these. HAHAHAHAH)The first one is My GrandFather with all us girls. I'm the one with pig tails.The second one is of my precious Grandparents at a happier time.The last one is going way back with me (the baby) with my all my Sisters.The last one is of my Mother.Thanks gang for letting me share. I cant win in this contest, but just being able to share this story and photos with you was a win situation for me.                                                                                                                                                                               Pam [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]   [​IMG]   -- Edited by PMM2008 on Monday 5th of November 2012 10:44:35 PM
  26. robsmom

robsmom WELL KNOWN MEMBER

My mother had 2 siblings, a brother and a sister, and we would spend one Holiday at each house, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. I often think about New Years at my uncle's farm. He had an old car hood, one of the ones the curved way down in the front . and he would hook it upside down to a tractor and we would get to ride in it, Between hot chocolate sessions in the house, of course. That would probably be considered child endangerment today but we had a lot of fun. Had to wear many layers of clothes and the snow still soaked through but we loved every minute. My number is 1195
  27. omeg

omeg NEW MEMBER

Ohhhhhh, now kids did know how to have fun back in the day you know? A upside down car hood with a tractor sounds amazing and fun. hahahaha. While reading your story, I could picture it and smiled. We used to have a lawnmower but the engine was gone, and we would put our butts in the hole where the engine went and roll down some serious hills at neck breaking speeds. hahahaThanks for the memories robsmom, and good luck in the contest. :yourock:                                                                                                                                                          Pam
  28. Mben

Great stories everyone! I felt I was right there with you with your families. queenmap, I can imagine the chaos when that glass shattered. I can hear the groans of oh no and the gasps of air that everyone took! robsmom, times were much simpler back then which made life so much more enjoyable as a child. Nowadays, children do not have the chance to create such great memories. Pam, I feel like I was sitting at the dining table with your family. Thank you for such a wonderful story. I know you miss you mom a lot as I miss my mother also. Family gatherings are never the same without that special person that made the holiday so special. BUT we make the best of them and need to realize that we are making memories for the little ones in our lives now. Someday they will tell the wonderful holiday stories about Auntie Pam and Nana Shell and the delicious meals we would cook or the fun stuff we did with them on Halloween!
  29. tweety65

tweety65 WELL KNOWN MEMBER

I would have to say the most memorable thanksgiving for me was when my family, ( Mom & Dad, two sisters and their families and of course myself, husband and my three childen ) decided to crash my sisters' and her family for thanksgiving weekend. we loaded up three cars, full of people and goodies, and made the 600 mile trek! Now my sister was quite nervous about hosting a thanksgiving dinner, because she had never cooked a turkey before... we assured her everything would be just fine!I had such a wonderful time that year with my mom, three sisters, two nieces, and my daughter, all cooking and making such a mess in the kitchen. My husband tells me i'm a very messy cook, lol and i am, not on purpose of course, it just happens, lolit was a long overdue quality time spent with my family. This year my husband I will be spending thanksgiving with her and her family again, only I'm a bit closer now, only 2 hrs away. I can't wait!!! Love you, sis.I pick 0910
  30. Mben

Being with family makes all the holidays extra special, tweety. I'm glad to see that you enjoy being with your family so much!Thanks for entering! :smile: