• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

A Behind-the-Curtains Look at a $20,000 (One Way!) Airplane Cabin

Sookie

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
A Behind-the-Curtains Look at an Over-the-Top New $20,000 (One Way!) Airplane Cabin
69abe4e164fc790acf59af507aef170a1e30afae.png
(Courtesy: Sex & the City 2) In Sex & the City 2, Carrie Bradshaw and the girls flew Emirates First Class to Abu Dhabi and taunted moviegoers everywhere with the airplane's sky-high luxury: private cabins, in-air showers, and an onboard bar. They'll need to make another Sex & the City sequel now that Etihad Airways has unveiled an ultra-elite new class of service that includes The Residence - a lavish seven-star cabin on the A380-scheduled to launch in December in addition to First Apartments (which are exactly what they sound like). The Residence contains three rooms (living room, bedroom, and bathroom), a butler trained by the Savoy in London, and a dedicated VIP concierge team. Oh, and did we mention that the rates for a flight from Abu Dhabi to London start at $20,000 one way? No, that wasn't a typo. I don't know about you, but we here at Yahoo Travel doubt we'll ever be lucky enough to fly in such excessive opulence. Still, we were dying to see what you get for that kind of money, so we took a sneak peek at the Residence, along with Etihad's new First Apartments. Check it out.
a9388e2dd32ed12f94476891330c29d1758c445b.jpg
Is this an airplane or a suite at the Burj Al Arab? The Residence is tucked away on the upper level of the double-decker A380. The living room has a leather couch, a dining table, a mini-bar, and a flat-screen LCD television - one of two in the Residence.
2b8aa6e88b0ec62a83c5fad3fad26c1e6c440368.jpg
Sweet dreams, indeed. The bedroom has a double bed. Our only question-how do you wear a seatbelt when you're sleeping? And: does the Louis Vuitton notebook come with the $20,000 pricetag?
8e34df00e2b94c75f066092917f7e0ba62f1f4ae.jpg
The Residence's private bathroom comes complete with its own shower. Call me picky, but I was expecting gold faucets in the bathroom. Isn't that what Elvis had on the Lisa Marie? Hey, if it was good enough for the King, it's good enough for sheiks everywhere.
0d0c2c09e065057ce1e836cfc869c4945482f2a9.jpg
The hallway that leads to the nine First Apartments looks more like a Four Seasons spa.
946d53c8b010001b1813747ce510f44d4e863763.jpg
Each of the First Apartments has a full-length bed and a mini-bar (to chill your bottles of Dom Perignon, surely).
68ff7b54322349b7521056470e1bc95865c03d76.png
The downside to the First Apartments: there's just one shower, to be shared by all. Then again, there's no better in-flight experience than bathing as you soar through the clouds.
008d2ed4a138d293f211c16c5dcd74a4560ca7a1.jpg
A view of the upper-class lounge. Imagine the conversations you'd have over coffee here.... <a href="https://www.yahoo.com/travel/a-behind-the-curtains-look-at-an-over-the-top-new-84783459617.html" >source</a>

Last edited by a moderator:

PSP

Ruler of Western Civilization's Geeky Nerds
I'm just happy not to have to sit with the unwashed masses on US Airways.... :roll:

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
Ewwww! The downside to the First Apartments: there's just one shower, to be shared by all. No way would I share a shower with strangers even IF the faucets were made out of solid 24K gold! Well, unless they supplied shower shoes. :biglol:

Sookie

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
I think I'd be to nervous to shower, I don't want to be naked with soap in my hair when they announce the plane is going down. :hmm:

PSP

Ruler of Western Civilization's Geeky Nerds
Mben wrote: No way would I share a shower with strangers even IF the faucets were made out of solid 24K gold!  I guess it would depend who the strangers were. (...and how friendly they were :surprise::thumb:

Mben

Staff member
PSP wrote:
Mben wrote: No way would I share a shower with strangers even IF the faucets were made out of solid 24K gold!  I guess it would depend who the strangers were. (...and how friendly they were :surprise::thumb:
Yeah, and I guess it depends on the noun or the verb.If the noun, I definitely need shower shoes. I hate showering at my friends or even my daughter's house because I have this weird I can't stand on the same shower floor that others do disorder. lolIf the verb, it would depend on how good looking they are. Wouldn't mind a shower with some hard bodied stranger. :nod: Oooooh but they can't have foot fungus!!! Then we both need shower shoes. :biglol: And EWWWWW again is what I have to say to that! hahahahaha

krystalkitty

Greedy Gambler
Gosh, I remember the days of shared shower's, or I guess not really shared, but 8 girls with with our own shower heads...and then those days of a shared bathroom (latrine); sitting on one of 8 toilet's:) I remember getting up at 2am just to poop !:) :surprise:

Mben

Staff member
I remember Jr High PE class where we all had to shower afterward all together. Hated that. "
But I remember going swimming at the YMCA when I was younger than my Jr High years and remember never taking my flip flops off in the shower. "
Sorry to have thrown the thread, Sookie. The apartment cabin does look spectacular! I saw Sex and the City II and was amazed at the luxurious seats the ladies had on their trip to Abu Dhabi and thought Wow! and now there are even more amazing seats that I will never be able to fly in. Unless I win the lottery.