1. Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

A Child's World ... Yesterday And Today

Discussion in 'MODS CORNER' started by Mben, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Mben

Mben No Deposit Forum Admin Staff Member

A Child's World ... Yesterday And Today

By Lola Smith

I am a 49 year young grandmother of three beautiful grandchildren. Being that I am 49 years old, I don't have stories of back in the day when I used to walk 10 miles in the snow to go to school as my father told me years and years ago when I was a child. I can only comment on what I am seeing after watching my grandchildren, namely my oldest grandson, grow up right before my very eyes compared to how I grew up back in the 70's and 80's.

Those were the good old days, weren't they? When growing up back then, parents and children almost didn't have a care in the world as they ran their neighborhood streets while playing tag with the neighborhood friends. Staying out past dark was no big deal at all. I remember vividly the front porch light at home flashing in the dark as a sign that it was now time to go inside.

Riding our bicycles to the local park that had a lake full of fish was something my brother and I did pretty regularly and without adult supervision. We would pack up our fishing tackle, our inflatable boat and bologna sandwiches stored in paper sacks for lunch. We would be gone for hours with no cell phone in our pockets. And what a blast we would have at the lake!

Our indoor activity included watching VHS videotapes but before those, we were watching BETA tapes. The Atari was our beloved game console. Hours and hours were spent playing pong! We were lucky enough to have a small portable tape recorder where I would record songs as they played off of my radio alarm clock. There were no such things as iPods, cell phones or PlayStation 4 but we loved loved our gadgets so!

I did not see a home computer until I moved out of my parents house. When my father showed me the home PC that he had put together with the operating system was Windows 3.1. I was amazed at how the solitaire game ended and all the cards just started flying all over the screen.

Technology has certainly brought us into a whole new world as we are in the year 2014. Quality graphics, quality audio and hi-tech apps are used and played on every iPod, cell phone, home computer and tablet these days. Technology certainly is welcome though. The options out there, as far as entertainment is concerned, is so vast compared to way back when.

But what has all the technology done to the children of today? My oldest grandson does not play with neighborhood friends and he does not ride his bicycle throughout the neighborhood streets. Why is this? Well, these days it is not safe to do so which is so unfortunate for our children. But the main factor would be our children are so drawn to the technology of today that the only exercise their little bodies seem to get is in their little tiny fingers. Yes, there are extracurricular activities and sporting events such as soccer and little league football which do provide some outdoor activity and exercise.

I don't think there is any way to change our world today regarding our children. Technology will only go forward and technology will only keep our children prisoners within the four walls of their home. This saddens me. My grandchildren, our children of today, will never know what it's like to run the streets with their best buddies causing some trouble but for the most part being some of the happiest kids of all time like I was! I will cherish my childhood as I enter my later years and watch as our children of the world today fall deeper and deeper into the world of technology and not enjoy a childhood in the way that I think it should be enjoyed.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014