1. Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Discussion in 'MODS CORNER' started by Jewels, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Jewels

Jewels WELL KNOWN MEMBER

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

By Amberly Ashton

Unless you have been hiding under a rock you have heard about the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. It's all over the social media sites. Anyone who has a facebook page has seen the videos and has had at least a handful of friends completing the challenge. It has now became a pop culture phenomenon since the first video debuted in mid 2014. 1.2 million people have already shared and participated on facebook. Those are some astounding numbers but twitter surpassed that with 2.2 million shares in just 19 days!

What is the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge?

There are two stories floating around and both are being noted to starting this craze. The first one says it started as a simple campaign to bring in donations for pet charities by golf professionals. Golfer Chris Kennedy nominated his cousin, Jeanette Senerchia whose husband has suffered from ALS for the past 11 years. Her hope was for her husband to see their youngest daughter grow up so she nominated some friends and the rest is history. The other story states that two ALS suffers Patrick Quinn and Pete Frates came together because "exposure like this is what the ALS community needs so we can even attempt to find a cure and reversal for people living with this insidious disease." Most of us would agree it's not important who started this spectacular challenge. Either way it originated from a family member who has watched this disease change their loved one or from two men who have had to face what this disease will do to their body in the near future.

How does the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge work?

As discussed above we all have watched these cleverly highly entertaining videos. Movies stars, singers, professional sports team members, government officials and people just like you and me have completed the challenge. I just received my nomination today from a fellow high school classmate to complete the challenge. When you receive your challenge you will need only two things, a video camera and a bucket full of ice water. With your camera on, you will state who nominated you and three people you are now challenging. Then the bucket is poured over your head. That's it! It's a pretty simple challenge, nothing fancy but for each video shared ALS awareness is spreading along with the number of donations being collected! One stipulation is that if you cannot complete the challenge in 24 hours or you choose not to, you have to make a $100 donation to the cause. Even though they have completed the challenge in 24 hours, some are still donating a mere $10 to the cause. The ALS Association ask that use the hashtags #icebucketchallenge, #alsicebucketchallenge, and #strikeoutals in your Ice Bucket Challenge post. As of today, The ALS Association has received over $70 million in donations! That's a unbelievable increase from the $2.5 million they had collected at this time last year! This campaign is still very fresh and new and on August 21st they received $10 million in donations and that was just for that single day! These numbers are astonishing and to think we all have a chance to increase the awareness and to bring in donations just blows me away!

What is ALS?

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease, is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. Early symptoms of ALS include increased muscle weakness in the arms and legs and a decrease in speech, swallowing and or breathing. When the motor neurons degenerate, the brain's ability to control muscle movement is completed lost. In later stages, the sufferer will most likely become paralyzed for the rest of their life. As of current there are no drugs that will stop or reverse this life changing disease. The FDA approved drug, riluzole as well as some clinical trials can slow down the progression of the disease. Sadly, the sufferer will eventually die from the disease as there is no cure for the debilitating disease known as ALS. If you are nominated to complete the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge I encourage to you have fun with it but take it seriously too. If you don't want to be doused with ice water please donate to the cause. You never know, someone you love may be diagnosed in the future. Before doing this article I had no clue what this devastating disease was and what it was capable of doing. It saddens me to think these innocent people will now have a life of pain and an early death. Please watch the following ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. It's the challenge of a man who has just been diagnosed and who cares for his Mother who is in the later stages of the disease. His challenge is a little quirky and does have some profanity but when it's over and you hear his story you will see why he did it this way. He wanted to generate the most viewers and shares to cause awareness to the death sentence known as ALS.

Source
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014