• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

ANY THOUGHTS?

krystalkitty

Greedy Gambler
I have never worked in an Assisted Living nor had I had any prior experience.....In the State of MN, you don't have to be certified to be a Resident Assistant.
I quit due to unsafe and unhealthy conditions to the clients. I continually informed the owner/LPN of these conditions and she always came back stating"things" would get done. They have not in 1yr 10months of working there. I probably should have reported to the state. I was selfish and thought of myself (paycheck needed)!
Are the following concerns for you too?
1. No covers on electrical outlets(got a pic)
2. Filthy carpets (got pictures)
3. Rusty pans to cook with (pics)
4. No hand rails in shower and bathtubs.(pics)
5. No hand rails to access the 2 doors. (pics)
6. Outside fence on deck very loose and shakey. Same with an entrance to the house.
7. A client left, who was hiv positive. The new client sleeping in the same bed and then the carpet was never clean!
Is that considered neglect? I could go on but won't:)

Reactions: Mben and Sookie

Sookie

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
It is sad to think so many people in assisted living and such don't get looked after the way they should be. Can I ask, if the paycheck was what stopped you from reporting them (and I totally get that ) what is stopping you now that you have quit?

Reactions: Mben

krystalkitty

Greedy Gambler
I am in the process of reporting them. Just not sure how to go about it. I left because I felt like I was in a hostile environment and that my mental status was decling. I was expected to take care of a client who elopes and goes manic that requires 1 one 1 care. I had 3 others clients to take care of, and then you got the cooking (3 meals a day)and cleaning (ie. go upstairs to do 1 clients room, dust, vacumn, etc), do their laundry and then vacumn, dust, clean, washing (rugs) in dining room and living room. She got outside on me one day. Found her in my car. I was beyond scared. when another staff member was at work, she took off 2x and got on to our busy road! My ex-boss is really "something". There is a lot more that went on. Like I said, I need to report it somehow, and am researching it. I want to remain anonymous as this is a very small community. The assisted living will be open 3 yrs Oct. and no one from the MN Health Dept. has been to inspect. I can't believe that, somehow she go put out of radar's range. I am so heartbroken as I will miss the clients. I told them I will be their advocate and gave them my phone number as 2 of them are really by themselves with no family support.

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely! Your concerns would be my concerns 10 times over!

I imagined my elderly father (Rest in Peace, Daddy) in those surroundings and there is no way in hell I would have allowed him to stay in a place that had obvious major safety violations.

Your clients (and everyone else there) are lucky to have you on their side.

Reactions: Sookie

PSP

Ruler of Western Civilization's Geeky Nerds
You need to buy a house, modify it to their specifications, and start taking care of people the RIGHT way - the way that they deserve!

I had my Dad in several of those places. It took 2 moves before I found one that was decent and that cared. I can tell that you care - it's really difficult to see from the outside.

If you do that, you will feel much better - and make a great deal of money along the way :thumb:

PSP

Ruler of Western Civilization's Geeky Nerds
You need to find a banker with a parent who needs this and understands what it takes! Not easy, but worth the effort!