1. Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

Cat Owner Or Dog Owner - Which Are You?

Discussion in 'MODS CORNER' started by Mben, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Mben

Mben No Deposit Forum Admin Staff Member

Cat Owner Or Dog Owner - Which Are You?

By Lola Smith

According to studies if you are a single woman living in an apartment, you are most likely a cat lover. If you are a married person who lives in a home with their family, you're most likely a dog lover. It is interesting the pet you choose can reveal your personality.

Before the domestication of the feline species and the canine species occurred, in the wild ,cats were mostly solitary hunters. Their most active time was at night. On the total opposite end of the scale, wild canines ran in packs and worked in groups.They were most active when the sun came up until the sun went down. The domestic dogs have kept this need for social activities. They are social butterflies and without a master and or a family, a dog seems to be unhappy. Dogs will come up to you and actually push their way into a human activities if they're feeling lonely. Domesticated cats, on the other hand, are seen throughout the day but are more active in the evening or at night. Cats will want to play but only for a moment. Then they get bored and wonder off. There is no loneliness that is expressed by cats.

What does this say about a person that owns a cat or dog?

Through some different studies, cat owners were a third more likely to live alone. Cat owners live in apartments which is twice as likely as dog owners. Single women are most likely to be cat lovers. If one grew up in a home that had cats as pets, they were 47% more likely to have cats right now. 11% of those people who grew up with a dog have a cat as a pet currently. The personality of a cat owner points to being introverted.

If you are a dog lover, being that dogs are sociable in nature, dog owners were generally about 15% more extroverted. 11% more conscientious. Conscientiousness is a tendency to show discipline, to complete tasks and reach goals. This trait shows a preference for planned behavior. Dog owners would also accept a cat into their home a lot quicker than cat owners would accept a dog into their home.

I grew up with a cat in my home until I was about 12 years old. Sadly ,she passed away and that is when we welcomed a dog into our family. We loved that dog just as we loved our cat. After moving out on my own, I always felt myself as a cat person. I chose a cat as a pet then. But then something came over me to bring a dog into my little family which included only me and my daughter. Since then, I have owned a few more cats. Once I got married, dogs were introduced into my married family.

Currently I have a cat as a pet and the one reason I thought to write this is because I am really thinking about bringing a dog into my home. Is it to change the stigma I live under because I am a single woman again who lives in an apartment and has a cat ... the norms of cat lovers? I don't think so. I think it is because I want or need the socialness of a dog in my life. Being single, well semi single because I do have a special friend in my life but we are not in a true relationship, so to speak, I feel I am as much of a dog lover as I am a cat lover. But maybe I am just trying to get away from the stigma that will eventually fall upon me of being an old cat lady.

My choice of dog would be the one that was a smaller breed because I live in an apartment home. Not a chihuahua since I have already had one who passed away a couple of years ago. I think I would like a Beagle or a Dachshund.

So what are you? A cat lover or a dog lover or both?
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014
  2. krystalkitty

krystalkitty Greedy Gambler

Well, I have 3 cats and 1 dog:) Mary, Sage, Sassy and Skylar!
  3. sashasmom

sashasmom WELL KNOWN MEMBER

I have always had both cats and dogs. Being single at this point of my life I have a cat. It is so much easier to take off for the weekend and have someone come and spend time with my cat than it would be for a dog. Annnddd she is very sweet and loving. [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014
  4. Mben

I love when pets have people names ... as in Mary , kk. I knew someone who's dog was named Julie. :thumb:"
    And sashasmom, that is one of my concerns ... needing to find someone to watch a dog for me if I get one. She looks sweet and loving. :kitty:
  5. sashasmom

lol Mben she is very spoiled. And yes it's much easier to find someone to care for her. Her name is Bella
  6. Mben

Awwww ... there's another people name ... Bella . I love that name! Now that I think of it, :homer: my cat's name is Charlie . lol I got him around Halloween a couple of years ago and I wanted to name him something related to Halloween but Michael wanted Charlie. I said that would work because of, well everyone knows the cartoon .... It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown Boy, did I stretch it to make it work. hahahaps - your grandkids are cutie pies!
  7. sashasmom

Lol Mben I once had a 125 lb doberman names Ernie. Thank you about my grandchildren, they are growing so fast as you know so are yours.