• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

Doctors grrrrrrrr!

Mikey7a

PHINSFAN NUMERO UNO
So, I'm supposed to walk for my heart. Well about 4 months back, after walking a very short distance, my calves would cramp up so bad, I had to actually sit down. My pain doctor said I probably had PAD. This is arterial blockage in the legs, due to smoking. WELL, I have now had angiogram  performed on both legs. This is where they open the femoral artery in your leg, put dye in you, and look for clogged arteries. If your legs are bad enough they balloon, or use stints to open the arteries. Each leg cost about $33,500 to have done. Today, I was informed by the surgeon that she used a small balloon in one leg, but after getting into the second, she found NO arterial claudation. In other words, this was all a huge waste of time, money, a TON of discomfort, and to make a long story short, my calves STILL CRAMP! To say I'm angry would be such an under statement! I'm beginning to think an expensive pair of walking shoes, say about $100-200 bucks, just might eliminate the problem. I do have a very bad lower back, but it seems to me the neurologist/pain doctor, would have realized this, and not put me through the unnecessary procedures. Anyway, sorry to vent, but had to get it off my chest!lastly, if you are young, and smoke, please please try to get help and quit now, before you find out that after 45, your body will punish you for it!:angry::homer:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
Mikey7a wrote: So, I'm supposed to walk for my heart. Well about 4 months back, after walking a very short distance, my calves would cramp up so bad, I had to actually sit down. My pain doctor said I probably had PAD . This is arterial blockage in the legs, due to smoking. WELL, I have now had angiogram  performed on both legs. This is where they open the femoral artery in your leg, put dye in you, and look for clogged arteries. If your legs are bad enough they balloon, or use stints to open the arteries. Each leg cost about $33,500 to have done. Today, I was informed by the surgeon that she used a small balloon in one leg, but after getting into the second, she found NO arterial claudation. In other words, this was all a huge waste of time, money, a TON of discomfort, and to make a long story short, my calves STILL CRAMP! To say I'm angry would be such an under statement! I'm beginning to think an expensive pair of walking shoes, say about $100-200 bucks, just might eliminate the problem. I do have a very bad lower back, but it seems to me the neurologist/pain doctor, would have realized this, and not put me through the unnecessary procedures. Anyway, sorry to vent, but had to get it off my chest!lastly, if you are young, and smoke, please please try to get help and quit now, before you find out that after 45, your body will punish you for it!:angry::homer:
Don't you wish that when a doctor is wrong, they just wipe all charges for the test off the bill? Can't take the unecessary pain it caused away though. Sorry you had to go through that for nothing, Mikey. And yes ... no more :cigar:!!!!

zbln

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
Sorry to hear this Mikey ! I feel your pain. I had knee surgery in April doc said I had a torn minscus. Well he was right. So here I am 4 months later with worse knee pain! Doc said surgery did not work can tell you why just need second surgery! I go get another doc to look at my mri's .( Before and after mri's ) new doc says yes torn minscus Also said the doc who did surgery did square cut! Should have been a Radius cut! That's why it didn't heel right!!! so I have Suffered for 4 month's been out of work! and put on about 20lbs. GEE THANKS DOC!!!

Mikey7a

PHINSFAN NUMERO UNO
Yes, I suppose that's why they call it practicing medicine! My Mrs. had apartial knee replacement....never never never ever, let them talk you into that one! Either replace the whole knee, or none at all!"
zbln, 4 months no work, and maybe another 3-4 to go? I read once, miss a week behind a month, miss a month behind a year, miss a year and OMG!"
Good luck bud, I hope they get it right and fast this time.

Mben

Staff member
Mikey7a wrote: Yes, I suppose that's why they call it practicing medicine! My Mrs. had apartial knee replacement....never never never ever, let them talk you into that one! Either replace the whole knee, or none at all! zbln, 4 months no work, and maybe another 3-4 to go? I read once, miss a week behind a month, miss a month behind a year, miss a year and OMG! Good luck bud, I hope they get it right and fast this time.
That's scary when it's put like that, Mikey!  zbln, you better get well quick because first of all, your knees aren't gonna be able to support you at the rate your going (20 lbs so far) lol AND I don't need a handicap to beat you in FF this year! :laughhard: Seriously, I hope you get some relief soon and your knee heals like it should.  :pray: Gaining that kind of weight sucks too. I know because I have a sit down at home job. It has not been nice to me after 4 years.You too, Mikey! :pray: I hope you and the dr's figure out what's going on with the leg cramps soon. 

Mikey7a

PHINSFAN NUMERO UNO
ummm not to rain on your parade, but if I remember your finish Mben, you need all the advantage you can muster! :laughhard:

Mben

Staff member
Mikey7a wrote: ummm not to rain on your parade, but if I remember your finish Mben, you need all the advantage you can muster! :laughhard:
LMAO!!! :laughhard:Awwww, come on! Can't I pretend I was winning the whole time last year?!??! LOL

slotgal47

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
Mine used to hurt like that a few years back, when I walked a little ways, hurt like heck in the back of my calves. Don't know what happened but it stopped. Now I have pain in my legs and arms, feels like they are going to explode. Just got diagnosed with fibromyalgia a couple of months ago, so I have been down awhile because of the weather changes, and it sucks! Hope this is not what you have Mben.

Mben

Staff member
slotgal47 wrote: Mine used to hurt like that a few years back, when I walked a little ways, hurt like heck in the back of my calves. Don't know what happened but it stopped. Now I have pain in my legs and arms, feels like they are going to explode. Just got diagnosed with fibromyalgia a couple of months ago, so I have been down awhile because of the weather changes, and it sucks! Hope this is not what you have Mben.
Oh, no. I'm all good .... so far.It's Mikey7a that's falling apart , slotgal. And zbln and you too. lolBut not to worry! The older I get the closer I get to becoming part of the falling apart club ! :shwing:Ugh! I really don't like the idea of getting old ... er. 

PSP

Ruler of Western Civilization's Geeky Nerds
Take a look at potassium supplements. I used to get cramps all the time, then I started taking potassium - all better :)

Mben

Staff member
Or eat a bunch of bananas! lol

Mikey7a

PHINSFAN NUMERO UNO
But not to worry! The older I get the closer I get to becoming part of the falling apart club ! shwing"
Ugh! I really don't like the idea of getting old ... er. "
Yeah well the alternative is WORSE Mben! lol lol"
Patrick, I take a 99 mg Potassium supplement every day. Is that not enough?

Mben

Staff member
Mikey7a wrote: But not to worry! The older I get the closer I get to becoming part of the falling apart club ! shwing Ugh! I really don't like the idea of getting old ... er. Yeah well the alternative is WORSE Mben! lol lol Patrick, I take a 99 mg Potassium supplement every day. Is that not enough?
Oh definitely! I've always said that I don't mind birthdays because it meant I was still alive.It's just all the crap that comes with getting older that I don't like. The horror stories are just that ... horror! lol