1. Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

Everything Is Bigger In Texas

Discussion in 'MODS CORNER' started by Sookie, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Sookie

Sookie Mother of Cats

Everything Is Bigger In Texas
    By Christina Applebaum

Perhaps that is because Texas itself is bigger, bigger than all the other states in the USA EXCEPT for Alaska that is. Texas is larger than every country in Europe. It takes an entire day to get out of Texas - that's driving of course, you can fly out a bit quicker. I'm not actually sure why everything is bigger in Texas, it just is.

The insects are bigger, trucks are bigger, girls hair is bigger (commonly refereed to as "that Texas volume"), state pride is bigger, church is bigger, the weather is bigger, food is bigger (and better), I'm having a hard time trying to think of anything that isn't bigger in Texas. Raccoons. Raccoons are not bigger in Texas. For some reason raccoons get smaller the further south you go.

Google Texas hair and you will find images like these:

[​IMG][​IMG]

And bows, big bows
    to go in the big hair.

[​IMG]
    And I'm not talking about 1980's big hair, with the tall bangs. No, I'm talking about beehive big. Big on the top and slightly tilted backwards 1960's big. Brigitte Bardot big. Don't get me wrong, I'm not making fun of it. I want big Texas hair, I want to set it in those big giant rollers and to tease the heck out of it after I take them out. Sadly I am not a native Texan and this way of doing hair was not taught to me by my mother and to her by her mother and does not come natural to me. I have been watching YouTube videos in hopes of mastering it. Not sure I feel the same about the bows though.

Another example of big things in Texas is the homecoming mum. It is the equivalent of a corsage anywhere else. Except in Texas the homecoming mum is a corsage on steroids. Typically made with silk flowers, usually chrysanthemums decorated with all manner of ribbons and feather boas, trinkets, teddy bears and sometimes even battery powered lights. Mums can hang clear to the floor and weigh up to 20 pounds. Not only are the mums big, but the tradition is big and practiced solely in Texas. It is a rite of passage.

Lets talk about the weather. Texas has highly variable weather. They have a saying in Texas, "If you don't like the weather, wait a day". The weather in Texas is big. It is extreme. You can, and I have, experience all four seasons and two more you never heard of in a single day. This is because Texas is located at the intersection of multiple climate zones. Heat, monsoons, tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards, soft ball size hail on a 95 degree day. Texas has it all and none of it is small.

I can go on, but I think you get the idea, and I'm here to tell you its its true - everything really is bigger in Texas. It just is. (Except the raccoons).
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014