1. Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

Flying The Friendly Skies

Discussion in 'MODS CORNER' started by Mben, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Mben

Mben No Deposit Forum Admin Staff Member

Flying The Friendly Skies

By Lola Smith

I have never given it much thought ... "flying" that is. I was raised in a military family and started flying when I was a toddler and continued through my whole adult life flying the friendly skies. My father was stationed in different countries overseas and in the US and lucky for me, he was able to take the family with him. I got my wings pretty early in life and had no chance to pick up the fear of flying because it was almost second nature to me. We were never stationed anywhere for more than 3 years and to get back and forth from the States, we had to fly. There was no way around it. I suppose we could have gone by ship but let's get real, folks.

Now let's fast forward to the present. What the heck is going on these days with commercial airplanes disappearing off the radar, being blown out of the sky and once again, disappearing off the radar? The third reference is in regards to the Air Algerie airplane that went off the radar on Thursday 7-24-14 and officials are now saying that it "probably" crashed somewhere and are looking for it. There were 116 people on board that flight.

I am scheduled to take flight in a couple of months and with the recent happenings, I have this little voice inside my head that is irking me to no end. It's saying "Are you sure you want to get on a plane right now?". I've never questioned hopping on a plane, speeding down the runway, only to be lifted up, up and away into the air. The rush from a takeoff is just that ... a rush! The flight I will be taking is a short flight. I'll be in the air for just over an hour. And when that hour is up, the airplane will start to make its descent. It's wheels will hit the tarmack in such a way that makes you say "Thank you, God. We got ground". Yes, yes, even though one is not scared of flying, landing safely is always the best part of any flight.

I believe that even though my slight fear at the moment is warranted, I have nothing to worry about. First, I am not flying over a war zone. And second, the odds are on my side. I found a statistic that says with data from 2008, in a single day, there were approximately 93,000 flights that took off from about 9000 airports worldwide. And at any given time, there were 8,000 - 13,000 airplanes in the sky in a 24 hour period. Wow! That's a whole lot of planes! So with the amount of news we have heard lately, which in comparison does not compare to the amount of flights in the skies, as a gambling woman, I'd say my odds are pretty good I can get on my scheduled flight with confidence that I will arrive at my destination safely.

Am I tempting fate by being so sure I'll be fine? I don't think so. If I thought that way, I'd never get into a car again. But que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014
  2. Mben

Mben No Deposit Forum Admin Staff Member

Check out this simulation of scheduled flights in a 24 hour period![video=http://youtu.be/2Vzx8k92kdE]