1. Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

Football 101 For Women

Discussion in 'MODS CORNER' started by Jewels, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Jewels

Jewels WELL KNOWN MEMBER

Football 101 For Women

By Amberly Ashton

[​IMG]

I have been married for almost 18 years. I have set through an unbelievable amount of football games with my husband. I know the basic concept of the game. Each team tries to get the most points by either making touchdowns or field goals. I know, it doesn't take a genius to figure that much out. But when it comes to all the extra phrases and technicalities, I am totally in the dark. I have done some research to help me familiarize myself better with the game. If you're like me, it just may help you too. Heck, we might as well enjoy the game too!

Did you know that the numbers on the players jerseys categorize what kind of job they do for the team? I had no clue! I just thought they were allowed to pick their favorite number! It's actually part of the NFL numbering system! They are labeled accordingly.

• 1-9 Quarterbacks and Kickers
    • 10-19 Quarterbacks, Kickers and Receivers
    • 20-49 Running Backs and Defensive Backs
    • 50-59 Linebackers and Centers
    • 60-79 Defensive and Offensive Linemen
    • 80-89 Receivers and Tight Ends
    • 90-99 Defensive Linemen and Linebackers
    Now that we are familiar with the players of the game lets take a look how the game is played. During the game the receiving team has 4 downs (chances) to move the ball 10 yards also known as a first down. If at anytime they fumble (drop) the ball and the other team recovers it or if the opponents intercept (catch the ball when the other team has position) then their chance at trying to score comes to an end. The rivals will then get their chance to score some points. But If they are successful and get their first down they will continue down the field by repeating the process until they score. If at anytime they can't accomplish this they will also have to surrender the ball to the other team. If it is fourth down they will likely punt (kick) the ball down the field in the opposite direction, giving their opponents more yards to travel. They also have the option to kick a field goal if they determine they are close enough to score. Now that the other team (offence) has the ball this process is repeated. The defense does what it can to stop them from traveling down the field and scoring. This continues until the clock runs down (time runs out). The winner is determined by the team with the highest score.

Now with my new found knowledge I can watch a game this season right along my husband's side and know what's actually going on! I know there is so much more to learn but I feel like I finally tackled the beast known as football. I feel good and I know I will make him proud! Hopefully, this has helped you as well.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2014