• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

Golf anyone?

PMM

Hi gang:

Well, I turned 49 last May and have never swung a golf club in my life. Golf to me was a boring game and honestly, it looked quite hard and frustrating. I have seen people use four letter words when they missed a shot or missed a easy putt. Even driven to the point of throwing the clubs. I lose my temper easily enough, why tempt fate.

Anyway, a friend of mine went golfing last Saturday on a beautiful day and I offered to go along and ride around in the golf cart. I drove the cart and handed her the clubs , you know, like a caddy. The golf cart is a hoot. No speed control, just not moving or hell bent for leather. "Hang on" is a phrase I used repeatedly that day. Didn't know the difference between a 9 iron or a driver. She would ask for a pitching wedge, I handed her the putter. After each mistake I gave her a look like "Gee, I wish I was on the forum right about now." Anyway, you get the idea.

Around hole 5 she hit the ball in the tree line. "Better try that again," I said, "that one is out of bounds." She then informed me that there were no "fouls" in golf. Around this time, with every shot she took I felt myself wanting to try to hit that ball. Seriously, how hard could it be? LOL

Which brings me to the point of this story. At 49, I am taking up golf. Looking for advice, stories of success, what has worked for you or didn't work for you. What are the best brand of clubs, shoes, etc. in your opinion to begin with.

Going to the driving range today. Ought to be a trip. Hope I don't hit anyone with a fly ball. I need a hat that says "Caution, student driver." Get it? Student, learning how to drive the ball? I kill me.

Anyways, if anyone has any ideas, advice, or just to wish me luck, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks for reading.

Pam

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
The closest I ever got to golf was years ago when the company I worked for back then sponsored a hole in a golf tournament. A couple girls and I had to sit at our hole to show face. All I remember was how many times we were "shushed". lol Three girls sitting around bored, of course we were gonna be talking and laughing it up.

Oh and miniature golf is closest too. lol

Reactions: PMM

PMM

The driving range was quite an experience. I would connect with the ball and do really well, then miss the next two shots completely and look like an idiot. HAHAHAHA

I'm new, please hold judgement till the end. :bonk:

krew09

My Dad has pictures of me in diapers with a plastic club and ball...I got fairly serious,played high school and college,and wound up teaching,still do on occasion. All modesty aside,I am as good an instructor as you will find,I have worked with several professionals...
A few good tips ..
1) Put a club behind your neck,resting on your shoulders and just turn as far as you can...then do the same with the waist...Golf is all about bigger muscles..
2)Your grip should be very loose.Someone should be able to brush your right hand and knock it off the club..The only pressure should be from your last 2 fingers of the left hand.
3) You play like you practice...I used to bash one shot after another on the range...but this is not how you play..Line up every shot,and get a pre-shot routine..this is important...
4) Your power comes from club head speed...you get this by holding the club back on the downswing...centrifical force will release the club if you have a proper grip..
5) Find a big mirror or window and look at your backswing...THE LEFT WRIST SHOULD BE FLAT AT THE TOP OF THE SWING...not cupped...As you turn your weight against your right side on the back swing,keep your right knee locked in position and you will feel power build in your right side...from there it is all automatic..Hit down on the ball,don't try and scoop it...hope this might help...but have fun..

Reactions: Mben and PMM

PMM

Wow, those are amazing pointers. I appreciate that so very much.

I really do love to golf, and I need all the help I can get.

Thanks again, it was very thoughtful.

Reactions: Mben