1. Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

I Feel The Need To Disconnect

Discussion in 'MODS CORNER' started by Mben, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Mben

Mben No Deposit Forum Admin Staff Member

I Feel The Need To Disconnect

By Lola Smith

Isn't technology wonderful? I mean come on, we have cell phones that we use to access any site that reaches into the far corners of the earth. We have tablets that act as laptops these days. We have desktop computers that act as tablets with touch screens and tiles. Isn't Windows 8 wonderful? (not really) Then throw in all the social media with this awesome hardware technology and we have a huge web of a mess.

Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, Google+, Twitter and dozens of more social networking sites have become the way of life for many. Hardly anyone picks up a newspaper or writes a letter to an old friend anymore. We do it all on the internet via social media. All the hardware technology mixed in with all the social interaction proves that we have advanced tremendously over the years which is a good thing ... I think?

Why do we need to be so inter connected between our devices and social media? My question is raised because I had posted a YouTube video from my desktop computer. A day or so later I am on my smartphone and chose to look for a new game or two to install. Within the Android "Play Store" there is an option called "recommended for you". I click on it and lo and behold, the artist that was featured in the YouTube video I posted was a recommendation for me. A recommendation that came with a $2.99 price tag. After seeing this and saying "wow" to myself, I came to the conclusion that YouTube is connected to Gmail which is Google which is the account that is associated with my smartphone. That created the connection between the YouTube that I posted on my PC and recommended purchase for me on my cell phone.

I do not want to be connected in such a way anymore. I don't like the idea that I am being tracked by my every move, post, like or tweet. If I do something on YouTube, I want it left on YouTube. If I go to the Play Store on my smartphone, I don't want to see that they know what I was doing on another social site on a entirely different piece of hardware. All this interaction has become a complete mental mess. Trying to keep accounts straight regarding work accounts and my personal accounts has been a nightmare.

Oh, and let's not forget about email. I have eight email accounts. And that may be a low number in comparison to others. I don't deal with them all on a daily basis but I do deal with half of them. Why do I need so many emails accounts? That's a rhetorical question. I know why I have so many but wish I didn't have so many.

At some point all of this became ridiculous. So how do I disconnect? I see no way around it. My cell phone will know what I have done on my desktop and my desktop will know what I did on my cell phone. I kind of get the feeling that big brother is watching and that big brother are the devices I utilize in my home. It has nothing to do with the NSA spying on me. I will save that subject for another day.

Well, I am off to go socialize. I'll be seeing you on my laptop on Facebook, I mean my cell phone on Twitter. Or wait, is it my desktop on YouTube?
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014