• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

Is The USA Going To War With Syria?

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
[video=https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QeYDhMmVLXI#t=313]When I heard that the POTUS was going to ask Congress for approval to declare war against Syria, I was relieved because I believe Congress would not have approved it. IMOBut after the president's speech today, I have to ask ..... did he say (basically) I can declare war on my own. I don't need approval from Congress nor do I need approval from the UN. ?If he did, we ARE going to war.[/video]

Mben

Staff member
From the written<a href="http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/08/31/statement-president-syria" > transcript</a> of his speech ...I'm confident in the case our government has made without waiting for U.N. inspectors. I'm comfortable going forward without the approval of a United Nations Security Council that, so far, has been completely paralyzed and unwilling to hold Assad accountable. As a consequence, many people have advised against taking this decision to Congress, and undoubtedly, they were impacted by what we saw happen in the United Kingdom this week when the Parliament of our closest ally failed to pass a resolution with a similar goal, even as the Prime Minister supported taking action.Yet, while I believe I have the authority to carry out this military action without specific congressional authorization , I know that the country will be stronger if we take this course, and our actions will be even more effective. We should have this debate, because the issues are too big for business as usual. And this morning, John Boehner, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi and Mitch McConnell agreed that this is the right thing to do for our democracy.

Mben

Staff member
One last thing .... my title should read IS BARACK OBAMA GOING TO WAR WITH SYRIA? "
The general population of the US does not want us to interfere with their civil war.

omeg

Mben wrote: One last thing .... my title should read IS BARACK OBAMA GOING TO WAR WITH SYRIA? The general population of the US does not want us to interfere with their civil war.
 I believe the issue is they used Chemical weapons. On their own people. Little kids, many people died.I'm sorry, I am with Obama.Let the back lash begin. :tongue: 

Mben

Staff member
PMM2008 wrote:
Mben wrote: One last thing .... my title should read IS BARACK OBAMA GOING TO WAR WITH SYRIA? The general population of the US does not want us to interfere with their civil war.
 I believe the issue is they used Chemical weapons. On their own people. Little kids, many people died.I'm sorry, I am with Obama.Let the back lash begin. :tongue:
Yes, that is why he wants this. There are so many consequences if we go to war and if we don't. Those consequences must be weighed before a decision is made.

Mben

Staff member
Congress returns from vacation Sep 9th. I am against it too. We have no business interfering, we have no money to fight a war, we have no end results. What happens after we bomb them? What happens to the chemicals that are left if no troops will be on Syrian soil ? Who's hands do they fall into? The people who our gov't has told us is our sworn enemy? That's comforting. What happens when the other surrounding countries get involved? What happens to the country that is being threatened by allies of Syria if the US attacks? What happens when this all breaks out and becomes WWIII? I feel for the women and children who lost their lives, I do. I feel for everyone who has lost their life during the whole conflict actually BUT I do not want this affect the people of MY country in a way that looks to be very ugly. Although, we do need to have the fear that if a lesson isn't taught for the world to see, chemical weapon attacks could possibly become widespread. But is a war worth trying to teach a lesson to those countries that want to use chemical weapons in the future possibly?My :twocents:-- Edited by Mben on Saturday 31st of August 2013 07:43:45 PM

Mikey7a

PHINSFAN NUMERO UNO
Had we taken out select targets last week, before Assad had days to move everything, I would have said hell yes! That being said, it is my very left leaning opinion, that our President missed the window for any real effective action. Now, it is all just politics as usual. If we get involved now, WE will look like the bad Western Bully....again! "
I'm horrified for the innocent lives lost, but after all, this is a civil war. The U.S. has no business policing the world, when we are crumbling as a country from lack of infrastructure, educated kids, a REAL health care system that includes everyone. Our bridges and roads, our power systems(in all but the biggest cities), are all in serious disrepair, and antiquated. "
Our do nothing Congress can't agree on one damn thing, and I think WE are a mess. So no, I think at this point, we let the Arab League of Nations deal with Assad, spend THEIR money, we need ours for here.

tking1

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
The USA can't take care of our own country and peoples needs let alone try to fix someone elses. Keep the money here, feed our hungry kids, create jobs and the hell with everyone else. We need to start looking out for ourselves so we can live in a country that used to be livable.