• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

Letter From A Mother To A Daughter

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
This is a beautiful letter. Even though this is specifically from a mother to a daughter, it applies to fathers to their sons or daughters and to mothers to their sons also. It applies to those of us who are fortunate to still have our elderly parents in our lives. I sent this letter to my daughter so she can refer to it in future years and to my brother who is caring for our dear old dad (aka Poppa). A tear rolled down my cheek as I read this. LETTER FROM A MOTHER TO A DAUGHTER:"My dear girl, the day you see I'm getting old, I ask you to please be patient, but most of all, try to understand what I'm going through.If when we talk, I repeat the same thing a thousand times, don't interrupt to say: "You said the same thing a minute agp"... Just listen, please. Try to remember the times when you were little and I would read the same story night after night until you would fall asleep.When I don't want to take a bath, don't be mad and don't embarrass me. Remember when I had to run after you making excuses and trying to get you to take a shower when you were just a girl?When you see how ignorant I am when it comes to new technology, give me the time to learn and don't look at me that way... remember, honey, I patiently taught you how to do many things like eating appropriately, getting dressed, combing your hair and dealing with life's issues every day... the day you see I'm getting old, I ask you to please be patient, but most of all, try to understand what I'm going through.If I occasionally lose track of what we're talking about, give me the time to remember, and if I can't, don't be nervous, impatient or arrogant. Just know in your heart that the most important thing for me is to be with you.And when my old, tired legs don't let me move as quickly as before, give me your hand the same way that I offered mine to you when you first walked.When those days come, don't feel sad... just be with me, and understand me while I get to the end of my life with love.I'll cherish and thank you for the gift of time and joy we shared. With a big smile and the huge love I've always had for you, I just want to say, I love you... my darling daughter."

Last edited by a moderator:

PSP

Ruler of Western Civilization's Geeky Nerds
Is this a bad time to talk about putting Mom in a home?:surprise:      (It isn't easy being the designated smarta$$...) 

Mben

Staff member
  :laughhard: Even if the answers are YES, NO, MAYBE SO, I totally agree with your philosophy!   
images
 :thumb:  But pretty please, don't even hint around to my daughter about a home! lol Her and I already had that discussion though and she knows she is stuck with me for the rest of my life! :tongue: Lucky her! :lol: -- Edited by Mben on Saturday 5th of January 2013 07:57:10 PM

Mben

Staff member
  Were you, PSP? And then graduated from...?   :laughhard: Even if the answers are YES, NO, MAYBE SO, I totally agree with your philosophy!  
images
  :thumb:  But pretty please, don't even hint around to my daughter about a home! lol Her and I already had that discussion though and she knows she is stuck with me for the rest of my life! :tongue: Lucky her! :lol:

PSP

I assume that the answers to your somewhat rhetorical questions are intuitively obvious....:thumb: It's a blessing - and a curse :roll:

daremeto

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
thanks for sharing that Mben, it put tears in my eyes. i am sending it to my daughter also. PSP said (It isn't easy being the designated smarta$$...) i don't know about you all but i would rather be a smart a$$ than a dumb a$$! lol

Mben

Staff member
You're welcome, daremeto! :smile:Without going into much detail, my brother can be an ass sometimes! He got a little irritated with me after reading the letter because he claims I am being an armchair quarterback from 3000 miles away. Yeah, my brother may be caring for my dad but he is lacking in compassion. That's the reason why I sent the letter to him. Boy, did he fly off the handle! Family I swear! Ugh!

omeg

These few words really are a special thing.At 44 I dont have any parents any more, and have been without them for some time. Yet, these few words still are relevent as I saw my Grand Parents in them as well.Mben, Your brother is perhaps void of all compassion, and words like this, when put together may actually scare him. When people can read something like this, and yet, not relate, it is a scary thing to those of us who can relate.Just my opinion.I feel empathy towards your dear ol'e Dad, yet I have never met him. I know being elderly cannot be fun at times. We lose so much of our abilities as we age. The mind is willing, but the body is not able anymore. After speaking to you on occasions about your Dad, I feel affections toward him and always include him in my extended prayers.  I do hope him living with your Brother he can find some sort of happiness, as his caretaker, your Brother, is un able to be emotionally attached and doesnt seem to see a problem.To everyone who read this and cried? Your heart is in the right place. :yourock:I creid too.                                                                                                                                                                                               Pam Oh, and PSP?  You may be a smartass, but damn if I dont laugh at your responses. :lol: 

PSP

PMM2008 wrote: Blah blah blah..... Oh, and PSP?  You may be a smartass, but damn if I dont laugh at your responses. :lol: 
 My purpose in life is to put many of the heavy subjects in perspective. I am completely in agreement with many of these warm and fuzzy messages, but making light of them IMO makes them much easier to accept.What is the bottom line? Cherish your parents/grandparents. They have SOOOO much to teach you about your history and life in general....... but that doesn't mean that a little levity isn't appropriate :thumb: For the record, I lost both of my parents almost 10 years ago (Damn, it sucks to be old). The unspoken part of this is that my parents would be very proud of the smartass remarks that I make - in their honor :)