• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

Massive dust storm in Phoenix, AZ 7/5/11

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
Check this out, you guys. Amazing!I live 2 hours south of Phoenix so I wasn't affected, except for our own monsoon storm that hit us yesterday .... that will continue to hit us for the next 2 months.[video=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W4Cx44XKZ4][video=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmWuI504WsU]-- Edited by Mben on Wednesday 6th of July 2011 07:12:16 PM[/video][/video]

omeg

RE: Massive dust storm in Pheonix, AZ 7/5/11

Hi Mben:Wow, I see things like this and  it makes my stomach drop. Mother Nature sure has alot of power to release, at any given moment.Glad you were not in harms way of this one. As far as your monsoons go, try to stay dry.  hahaFirst you have to try to stay cool, and then you have to try to stay dry.  Damn, you need a break. :lol:                                                                                                 Pam

PSP

Ruler of Western Civilization's Geeky Nerds
I didn't know that you lived so close to Iraq ... :thumb:

iammeiamfree

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
We got hit by the storm here in Scottsdale pretty hard. it was incredible. The sky/air was nothing but dust for hours. We have a layer of dust and mud (because it also started to rain) all over everything outside. All of our windows were covered in dirt, and I have hosed down everything in the yard 3 times already, and it is still showing up in places!

Mben

Staff member
iammeiamfree wrote: We got hit by the storm here in Scottsdale pretty hard. it was incredible. The sky/air was nothing but dust for hours. We have a layer of dust and mud (because it also started to rain) all over everything outside. All of our windows were covered in dirt, and I have hosed down everything in the yard 3 times already, and it is still showing up in places!
What a yucky mess, iammeiamfree.I'm glad you are ok. I am guessing that the worst that can happen with a dust storm like this are the possible car accidents because of the zero visibility?? 

stpowe6854

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
I know this is 12 days later but we had another smaller one this week and my poor pool can't keep up anymore. We now have a huge mudpit in the backyard. What's with the haboob name they keep calling these things? All my life here in Arizona and the first I've ever heard of haboob. Microbursts - yeah, I've heard of those but not haboob. Sounds a little perverted. Okay, I'm done blabbing. It's just been a while since I've been on here so I need to jump on every bandwagon I can find.

Mben

Staff member
stpowe6854 wrote: I know this is 12 days later but we had another smaller one this week and my poor pool can't keep up anymore. We now have a huge mudpit in the backyard. What's with the haboob name they keep calling these things? All my life here in Arizona and the first I've ever heard of haboob. Microbursts - yeah, I've heard of those but not haboob. Sounds a little perverted. Okay, I'm done blabbing. It's just been a while since I've been on here so I need to jump on every bandwagon I can find.
I always knew monsoons to be weather systems in Asia, not AZ. Sounds like monsoon and haboob were both taken from the Arabic language. The word monsoon comes from the Arabic mausim which means a season. A haboob (Arabic) is a type of intense sandstorm commonly observed in arid regions throughout the world. They have been observed in the Sahara desert (typically Sudan), as well as across the Arabian Peninsula, throughout Kuwait, and in the most arid regions of Iraq.Couldn't AZ come up with original words to describe our own nasty weather?  
confuse.gif

Last edited by a moderator: