1. Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

NO DEPOSIT FORUM HOLIDAY MEMORIES FREE TO ENTER CONTEST ~ CLOSES 12-2-10

Discussion in 'CLOSED FORUM CONTESTS' started by Mben, Nov 3, 2010.

1. labell

labell NEW MEMBER

oops, number 6771 pleaseAnd thank you!!!
  2. PSP

PSP Ruler of Western Civilization's Geeky Nerds

My most memorable Thanksgiving 1988 As Im sure many of you have experienced, Thanksgiving can be a VERY stressful holiday.  This was going to be the 8<sup>th</sup> Thanksgiving since our older daughter was born and virtually all of the holidays since she was born turned into the battle of the in-laws. Kristin was the first grandchild on both sides, so the pressure was on from both sides guilt trips galore! There was no way that we could possibly satisfy both sides and there was going to be hell to pay whichever way we went, so I came up with a bold plan get the fornicate out of town for Thanksgiving! Shockingly, my wife actually went for it, so I made reservations to go to our favorite resort for the entire week Club Med in Ixtapa, Guerrero, Mexico. Im sure most of you have heard the wild stories of drunken debauchery, etc.,   but in reality they were almost all true!  Just kidding this one was the family village. Most of the people there were younger couples with small children in the same predicament as we were. The big attractions were the watersports sailing, snorkeling, windsurfing and the beach.  We had a GREAT time! The village held a total of 750 guests, virtually all of which were Americans with a few Canadians thrown in for good measure (the Canadians REALLY know how to party, but thats another story).  Club Med is a French company with villages all over the world. A majority of the head people in the village including the Chief of the village and the Head Chef were directly from France. They had just arrived in Mexico a few weeks before for their first stint in North America. Unfortunately, they were not informed about and didnt understand Thanksgiving and had no idea what it meant to Americans. While most of the bosses were French, the majority of the GOs (the 20somethings who actually ran the activities) were either American or Canadian. They started to sense that there might be a problem brewing there were no plans to do anything special for Thanksgiving, so a couple of the senior GOs tried to educate the Chief and the Head Chef about what the Americans expect for Thanksgiving. Their suggestions were heard to a degree, but . Its Thanksgiving Day! Right before the lunch, the Chief of the Village got on the microphone to wish everyone (in a very thick French accent) a Happy Thanksgiving and to announce that there was a BIG surprise at dinner! The rest of the day goes like any other day, but most of the guests were very excited about the Thanksgiving Feast that evening. Dinner was normally served buffet style, but tonight was different. Everyone took their seats and waited. The Chief of the Village was on the stage and welcomed everyone to Thanksgiving Dinner! He expressed his pleasure to be able to host everyone for this special holiday and then introduced the Head Chef. The Head Chef proudly announced that he had researched Thanksgiving and prepared the 3 most important items of a Thanksgiving feast turkey, stuffing and pumpkin pie. With that, he signaled the kitchen staff to bring out the feast! There was just one slight problem for the over 700 Americans in the village, he had prepared 1 turkey, one casserole sized bowl of stuffing, and 2 pumpkin pies   [​IMG] There was almost a riot! I have never laughed so hard in my life! You had to laugh. Here we are in a French resort IN Mexico.filled with Americans talk about a recipe for disaster! It was perfect - I wouldnt have changed anything! Ever since that day, our Thanksgiving feast includes spaghetti   [​IMG](let's go with 1988 for my lucky number - and if I happen to win, the $50 is going to Toys for Tots)
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014
  3. PSP

PSP Ruler of Western Civilization's Geeky Nerds

My most memorable Thanksgiving 1988 -  As I'm sure many of you have experienced, Thanksgiving can be a VERY stressful holiday.  This was going to be the 8<sup>th</sup> Thanksgiving since our older daughter was born and virtually all of the holidays since she was born turned into the battle of the in-laws. Kristin was the first grandchild on both sides, so the pressure was on from both sides - guilt trips galore! There was no way that we could possibly satisfy both sides and there was going to be hell to pay whichever way we went, so I came up with a bold plan - get the fornicate out of town for Thanksgiving! Shockingly, my wife actually went for it, so I made reservations to go to our favorite resort for the entire week - Club Med in Ixtapa, Guerrero, Mexico. I'm sure most of you have heard the wild stories of drunken debauchery, etc.,  but in reality they were almost all true!  Just kidding - this one was the family village. Most of the people there were younger couples with small children in the same predicament as we were. The big attractions were the watersports - sailing, snorkeling, windsurfing - and the beach.  We had a GREAT time! The village held a total of 750 guests, virtually all of which were Americans with a few Canadians thrown in for good measure (the Canadians REALLY know how to party, but that's another story).  Club Med is a French company with villages all over the world. A majority of the head people in the village including the Chief of the village and the Head Chef were directly from France. They had just arrived in Mexico a few weeks before for their first stint in North America. Unfortunately, they were not informed about and didn't understand Thanksgiving and had no idea what it meant to Americans. While most of the bosses were French, the majority of the GOs (the 20somethings who actually ran the activities) were either American or Canadian. They started to sense that there might be a problem brewing - there were no plans to do anything special for Thanksgiving, so a couple of the senior GOs tried to educate the Chief and the Head Chef about what the Americans expect for Thanksgiving. Their suggestions were heard to a degree, but... It's Thanksgiving Day! Right before the lunch, the Chief of the Village got on the microphone to wish everyone (in a very thick French accent) a Happy Thanksgiving and to announce that there was a BIG surprise at dinner! The rest of the day goes like any other day, but most of the guests were very excited about the Thanksgiving Feast that evening. Dinner was normally served buffet-style, but tonight was different. Everyone took their seats and waited. The Chief of the Village was on the stage and welcomed everyone to Thanksgiving Dinner! He expressed his pleasure to be able to host everyone for this special holiday and then introduced the Head Chef. The Head Chef proudly announced that he had researched Thanksgiving and prepared the 3 most important items of a Thanksgiving feast - turkey, stuffing and pumpkin pie. With that, he signaled the kitchen staff to bring out the feast! There was just one slight problem - for the over 700 Americans in the village, he had prepared 1 turkey, one casserole sized bowl of stuffing, and 2 pumpkin pies  [​IMG] There was almost a riot! I have never laughed so hard in my life! You had to laugh. Here we are in a French resort ...IN Mexico ...filled with Americans - talk about a recipe for disaster! It was perfect - I wouldn't have changed anything! Ever since that day, our Thanksgiving feast includes spaghetti...   [​IMG] (Let's go with 1988 as the magic number - if I happen to win, the $50 will be donated to Toys for Tots)
  4. SPADEAHOLIC

SPADEAHOLIC Thinks Too Much

I think Charlie Brown   was created by [​IMG]copying my childhood   Christmas's[​IMG](1225)
  5. pheapgirl

pheapgirl Banned

My 5 yr. old daughter wanted a Nintendo DS and other presents for Christmas last year. I bought her everything on her wish list and marked it as gifts from Santa. She was thrilled that Santa came and brought her all these gifts. Later that day she overheard me telling her grandma I bought these at Toys R Us. She corrected me and said mom you didn't buy me these presents, the elves made them and Santa gave them to me. LMAO..... lucky pick 7349
  6. omeg

omeg NEW MEMBER

[​IMG]   I truely enjoy reading these stories so much. [​IMG]PSP: What a time you described. [​IMG]Only one turkey? hahahahahlabell:  Being a dog owner, I can completely relate, and laughed out loud. pheapgirl:  Kids are just tooooo smart for their own good.  hahahahSpadeaholic:  Charlie Brown Christmas happens to be my favorite show for the Holidays.  It always works out in the end.  [​IMG]Keep these terrific stories coming. (dont forget to add your lucky # pick.)                                                                                        Pam
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014
  7. Mben

Mben No Deposit Forum Admin Staff Member

Thank you for the new entires. I have to admit that I have not gotten the chance to read them down from BabyOxide but you all know I will."
    "
    Keep them coming folks!
  8. Mben

Guys and gals, those were great and just so you know I caught up reading the ones I hadn't yet, here's the answers to the pop quiz............"
    "
    1. BabyOxide is Chinese and missed the chance at what could have been the love of his life."
    "
    2. labell has a dog who christened her mother's Christmas tree. HA HA HA"
    "
    3. PSP is quite the world traveler and is a rebel when it comes to his Thanksgiving meals (spaghetti) "
    "
    4. Spade is Goofy. Oh wait, he's another dog ...... Snoopy."
    "
    5. pheapgirl has a little girl who still believes in Santa Claus and that is the most precious thing in the whole wide world. Christmas through the eyes of a child is what I miss about the whole holiday season."
    "
    Don't worry about the size of your Christmas tree because in a child's eyes, it's 30 feet tall!!"
  9. labell

labell NEW MEMBER

What wonderful stories! Thanks so much for opening this thread!
  10. krystalkitty

krystalkitty Greedy Gambler

Waking up in the morning and finding my 18 lb turkey a 2 lb turkey [​IMG] I had no clue how to cook one, so my boyfriend said you can put it in the oven overnight at 200 degrees....Wish I wouldn't of listened to him.......Boy, did I cry, then laugh. We have been together for 14 years now [​IMG]"
    "
    Another memory, is that we were so broke and couldn't afford a Christmas tree. My uncle let us go out to this pasture and cut a tree. It was the top of a spruce tree. It looked pathetic, but once we decorated it, it didn't look to bad and the kids loved it. "
    "
    Thanks for starting this thread. Brought back a lot of memories I had forgotten about!!!! "
    "
  11. omeg

omeg NEW MEMBER

Thanks KK for the funny memories, and entering the contest. [​IMG]I want to know more about the turkey in the oven overnight at 200 degrees.....[​IMG] Was it Turkey so dry, you had to eat it in the rain? [​IMG]I love this thread too...keep those stores coming...                                                                                                    Pam
  12. Mben

Thanks for entering and sharing KK."
    "
    Reminiscing can fun. [​IMG]
  13. nola69

nola69 WELL KNOWN MEMBER

short and sweet i am with my famil this year after being away for some time  that is the best story i can share  happy holidays 2 all of u [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  14. Mben

Like snowflakes, my Christmas memories gather and dance - each beautiful, unique and too soon gone. ~Deborah Whipp"
    "
    nola, I need a 4 digit lucky number pick from you. "
    "
    PS - You have also been away from the forum for some time. Nice to see you back.
  15. chillymellow

chillymellow WELL KNOWN MEMBER

Back in the day..."
    My dad was one of the few people who had a car phone . It was huge and had about 100 little lights on it that indicated the cell you were in. There weren't a lot of cells. The calls cost a lot to make, and I think he paid around $80 a month just to use the phone at all."
    We were making the trip from San Antonio to El Paso-600 miles-with me and my sister, two brothers and my parents. It was a very very long time consuming drive. When we were almost to my grandparent's house, my Dad called them on his car phone. They didn't know he had one, or probably even what one was."
    My dad told them, okay, we are getting ready to leave now and we'll see you when we get there! "
    A few minutes later we pulled up to my grandparent's house. We all got out and rang the doorbell. You've never seen such confused and surprised folks! They couldn't figure out how we got there so fast!"
    "
    my number is 1031
  16. omeg

omeg NEW MEMBER

Hi nola69:  That is a fine fine Holiday sentiment.    Thank you for entering the contest. Happy Holidays to you as well. [​IMG]                                                                                                      Pam
  17. omeg

omeg NEW MEMBER

Hi there chillymellow:Your story made me laugh out loud. I too remember the old cell phones. They were big as a briefcase, and you had to plug them into your cigarette lighter for power.  So much for going wireless [​IMG]Thanks for the story, it was alot of fun to read and remember Back in the Day.                                                                                                 Pam
  18. mandy03

mandy03 WELL KNOWN MEMBER

Part of the wonder of Thanksgiving and Christmas comes with the sights, sounds, and smells of the season that carry a certain nostalgia, allowing us to relive the magical moments of our favorite holiday memories like waking up to a blanket of freshly fallen snow .... a family game of football to work off that turkey dinner ... baking homemade cookies ... driving through neighborhoods in search of the best Christmas light displays  ... singing Christmas carols ... One of my favorite holiday memories is putting on chritmas records and dancing around the living room with my mother as a little girl and marveling at all of the beautiful ribbon candies my Nana had made trying to choose the perfect one to eat :eek:)    May you all have a blessed holiday Season!# 2468Thanks
  19. Mben

chillymellow, that was a funny story! I can imagine the look on your grandparent's faces. "
    "
    Mandy, your story was an awww moment. It gave me warm fuzzies. So sweet! "
    "
    Thanks for entering, the both of you!
  20. omeg

omeg NEW MEMBER

Mandy? That was simply beautiful.  [​IMG][​IMG] In a few short sentences, you brought back many many wonderful memories to me.  I thank you for that. Happy Holidays to you and yours.                                                                                       Pam
  21. Mben

This contest closes on 12/2/10 at 7 PM EST. Post your stories now for a chance at $50!
  22. BabyOxide

BabyOxide WELL KNOWN MEMBER

lol the turkey.. that ones funny, doesnt it goes up in flames ?? i mean you would have detected smoke by midnight no ?
  23. Mben

One more day, folks!! Good luck to all who have entered!!
  24. omeg

omeg NEW MEMBER

I have enjoyed these stories so much. I hope we get a few more before we close the thread. [​IMG]Get writing gang:  [​IMG]                                                                                      Pam
  25. mikeyhorror

mikeyhorror WELL KNOWN MEMBER

I will never forget the Christmas of 1969. My boyfriend was to leave for Vietnam on December 19th - It began as the worst Christmas of my life. On December 30, New Year's Eve - he sent me the most wonderful Christmas present - AN ENGAGEMENT RING - QSKED ME TO MARRY HIM WHEN HE RETURNED - WHICH THANK THE LORD HE DID - and we have been happily married ever since 1971. GOTTA LOVE HIM.
  26. omeg

omeg NEW MEMBER

That story gave me BIGGGG SMILESSSSSS.   [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Thanks so much for entering....( we need a 4 digit lucky pick from you mikeyhorror) to enter the contest drawing.                                                                                                             Pam
  27. omeg

omeg NEW MEMBER

WE WANT YOUR  HOLIDAY STORY!!!!!!                [​IMG]WE NEED YOUR HOLIDAY STORY!!!!!                             [​IMG]     Hoping we get a few more entries before the contest has to close tomorrow.                                                                                              Pam
  28. givennsz

givennsz BINGO MOMMA

When I was growing up every Xmas Eve my mom would make us go to bed early early like right when it got dark. This was so Santa could come of course. Well there was something very strange about Santa and the whole situation. "
    "
    Santa was very thin and my uncle was missing every single year. To make a long story short one year we were going thru pics and found one where my uncle was getting dressed. Yep you guessed it, he was Santa. All 4 of us kids at that time were so upset that we didn't talk to my uncle for the longest time. We honestly thought at first that he stole Santas outfit. "
    "
    We had some good times and I applaud my mother as she would jingle the bells and what not to make it sound like Santa was coming down from the roof. "
    How I miss being a kid again......Merry Xmas everyone!!!!"
    "
    "
    my lucky numbers please 8620"
    "
    "
  29. omeg

omeg NEW MEMBER

That's a wonderful story givennsz........[​IMG][​IMG]Thank you so much for entering the contest, and sharing that sweet story.                                                                                                       Pam
  30. omeg

omeg NEW MEMBER

This fine contest closes tonight gang, however there is still time to get your story in before tonight. [​IMG]Dig up those old Holiday memories for a chance to win $50. Looking forward to more stories....                                                                                                                                                                                             Pam