• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

Paddy Power Taking Bets On Pistorius Murder Trial Sparks Outrage

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
Controversial Irish bookmaker Paddy Power has defended its decision to offer betting on the outcome of Oscar Pistorius' murder trial.Pistorius, a paraplegic runner, claims he shot into a locked bathroom believing an intruder had entered the residence he shared with Steenkamp.  Instead he fatally wounded his girlfriend.Paddy Power began offering a money back guarantee on the Pistorius trial should he be acquitted. Folks have taken to the Twitterverse to express their disgust at Paddy for offering this type of wagering opportunity.  Some have called Paddy's decision to do so vile .Paddy Power added fuel to the fire by capitalizing on Sunday night's Academy Awards to feature an advertisement of Pistorius in the form of an Oscar statuette with the caption: Oscar Time. Money back if he walks. We will refund all losing bets on the Oscar Pistorius trial if he is found not guilty .The United Kingdom's strict ad code enforcement agency has yet to take action against Paddy for what many deemed to be a tasteless advert.  In the past, Paddy has been reprimanded for featuring virile dwarfs in ads. Whoa, Paddy Power, you vile institution, one Tweet read.Sam Hollis tweeted: May I assure everyone slagging off #PaddyPower that they treat their staff with the same level of disdain and disrespect as Reeva Steenkamp. Mr. Neil Kulkarni: A woman died: #PaddyPower hang your heads in shame. Top bantz wankers. Some have expressed anger with their purse string. Just withdrew my balance from #paddypower.  Am sorry but a young lady being killed is not something to bet on, one woman tweeted.A blog on the company's website read: Global media attention, bar-stool conversation and pillow talk will shift from the Oscars on Sunday night to Oscar on Monday when the Blade Runner straps on his prosthetic limbs for the long walk to the high court... Paddy Power is joining the debate by offering customers an opportunity to put their money where their mouth is - on the outcome of the murder trial. For many years, bookmakers across the globe have shied away from taking bets on murder trials despite the sometimes high profile nature of such cases.  Over the past year, none of the US-facing bookmakers offered odds on either the Jodi Arias or George Zimmerman murder trials, both of which received around-the-clock news coverage. They could easily have made a fortune doing so, noted Gambling911.com Senior Editor Payton O'Brien.Paddy Power has come under fire in recent months for sponsoring former NBA player Dennis Rodman's trip to North Korea.The reality of what transpired that fateful night Pistorius shot Steenkamp to death became all the more clear Monday at Day One of the trial as a neighbor took to the witness stand and described hearing bloodcurdling screams . Just after 3, I woke up from a woman's terrible screams, the woman testified. Then I also heard a man screaming for help. Three times he yelled for help. The trial resumes on Tuesday, as does the betting.<a href="http://www.gambling911.com/gambling-news/paddy-power-defends-taking-bets-oscar-pistorius-murder-trial-angry-tweets-030314.html" >source</a>The outrage intensifies. Read some more tweets <a href="http://www.gambling911.com/gambling-news/outrage-over-paddy-power-oscar-pistorius-murder-trial-betting-intensifies-030414.html" >here</a>.

craff25

As a current university student studying who's law and plans to go to law school after Undergrad. I believe that this would not hold up in (American) court due to the fact bets predispose the jurors to evidence and details regarding the case. Also there is now an actual incentive for the jury to decide to sway there belief on whether or not he is guilty. So this would definitely make a case for change of location or even the jury, and could even effect some evidence whatever that may be. Then again this is happening in South Africa and I'm not familiar with their judicial system so I guess well just have to wait and see this pan out."
-Connor

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
Also there is now an actual incentive for the jury to decide to sway there belief on whether or not he is guilty I didn't think of that. Wow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdamClarson