• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

Preakness Stakes - 2nd Jewel Of the Triple Crown

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
7346782-590x392.jpg
Preakness Stakes - Saturday, May 18th, 2013.The Preakness Stakes will be held this weekend at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, Maryland as the field of contenders is looking to win the second leg of the Triple Crown. With the race just around the corner, all of the bettors are searching the Internet for the latest race odds, which have been released.As you would expect, Kentucky Derby winner Orb is the clear favorite to win the second leg of the Triple Crown. Goldencents and Departing are also at the front of the field. You would have to give Goldencents the best shot at upsetting Orb in the race, despite the poor showing at the Kentucky Derby.Here are the latest odds for the current Preakness field:<table style="margin:0px 0px 20px;padding:0px;border:0px;font-size:14px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;vertical-align:baseline;color:#424242;line-height:21px;width:458px;" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody style="margin:0px;padding:0px;border:0px;font-style:inherit;font-family:inherit;vertical-align:baseline;"><table style="border-collapse:collapse;margin:1em 0px;color:#000000;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, Tahoma, Verdana, 'Bitstream Vera Sans', sans-serif;font-size:11px;line-height:14.625px;background-color:#ffffff;width:100%;" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"><tbody style="border-top-style:none;border-right-width:0px;border-bottom-width:0px;border-left-width:0px;">Post</h3>Horse</h3>Trainer</h3>Jockey</h3>Watchmaker Odds</h3>ML Odds</h3>1</h4>Orb</h4>C. McGaughey III</h4>J. Rosario</h4>1-1</h4>1-1</h4>2</h4>Goldencents</h4>D. O'Neill</h4>K. Krigger</h4>5-1</h4>8-1</h4>3</h4>Titletown Five</h4>D.W. Lukas</h4>J. Leparoux</h4>20-1</h4>30-1</h4>4</h4>Departing</h4>A. Stall Jr.</h4>B. Hernandez Jr.</h4>6-1</h4>6-1</h4>5</h4>Mylute</h4>T. Amoss</h4>R. Napravnik</h4>10-1</h4>5-1</h4>6</h4>Oxbow</h4>D.W. Lukas</h4>G. Stevens</h4>15-1</h4>15-1</h4>7</h4>Will Take Charge</h4>D.W. Lukas</h4>M. Smith</h4>10-1</h4>12-1</h4>8</h4>Govenor Charlie</h4>B. Baffert</h4>M. Garcia</h4>15-1</h4>12-1</h4>9</h4>Itsmyluckyday</h4>E. Plesa Jr.</h4>J. Velazquez</h4>10-1</h4>10-1</h4>      <a href="http://fansided.com/2013/05/15/preakness-stakes-2013-current-odds/" >source</a> Stay tuned for post positions which should be out today. -- Edited by Mben on Wednesday 15th of May 2013 05:21:23 PM

Last edited by a moderator:

Mben

Staff member
The post positions for the 2013 Preakness Stakes were announced Wednesday evening. This year's favorite, Orb, will look to continue his Triple Crown run when he makes his start from Gate 1. Entering the draw at even odds, his stock could drop for Saturday. The rail has traditionally been a difficult position to win from.Departing and Goldencents -- 5/1 and 7/1 odds, respectively -- will run from Gates 4 and 2. Oxbow got the coveted Gate 6, and may see his 14/1 odds improve as a result.Here's the full Preakness Stakes draw:1. Orb2. Goldencents3. Titletown Five4. Departing5. Mylute6. Oxbow7. Will Take Charge8. Governor Charlie9. ItsmyluckydayExpect Orb to remain clear favorite to win the race. The fact that trainer Todd Pletcher chose not to run any of the five horses he entered in the Kentucky Derby shouldn't hurt. Itsmyluckday (Gate 9) and Mylute (Gate 5) also figure to once again be strong challengers, both currently at 9/1 odds.The 138th Preakness Stakes will be run Saturday. Coverage begins at 4:30 p.m. ET on NBC. Check out <a href="http://www.anddownthestretchtheycome.com/" >And Down The Stretch They Come</a> for complete coverage and analysis of the race.

Mben

Staff member
Here we go again! For those of you who don't gamble on horses, it is actually fun and pretty easy. Brush up here ... <a href="http://www.sbnation.com/2011/5/6/2157655/how-to-bet-on-horse-racing-and-win" >How To Bet On Horse Racing: Kentucky Derby Gambling Guide</a>, then find an OTB establishment and place your bets! Good luck all!

TonyT

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
This is a pretty weak field that Orb is facing so he should roll home here but I cant bet on a horse at this short of odds.I will use him in exactas and trifectas to try and make a buck or 2.

Mben

Staff member
Yes, that's true Tony. He's gotta be in there for sure. I'll be making my same exacta boxed bet with 5 horses again. LOL 5 out of 9 horses. I better win something. I know it won't be as much as the Kentucky Derby but anything over the $20 is easy money!

Mben

Staff member
Here's my winning bet! exacta box on 6 horses = $301. orb9. itsmyluckyday8. govcharlie6. oxbow4. departing5. mylute-- Edited by Mben on Thursday 16th of May 2013 01:38:15 PM

Mben

Staff member
Exacta BoxesThe second and most popular exacta wagering strategy is an exacta box combining 2 or more horses to finish first or second in either order. Generally offered in a minimum denomination of $1, an exacta box of horses 3-4 would represent 2 possible combinations 3-4 and 4-3, at a cost of $2. The cost of a $1 exacta box correlates directly to the number of horses and possible combinations in the box.For example, a $1 exacta box of 3 horses (2-3-4) represents 6 possible $1 winning combinations that include 2-3, 2-4, 3-4, 3-2, 4-2 and 4-3. While any of these combinations would allow you to cash a ticket, keep in mind that your payout would be only half of the actual $2 straight exacta payout, because you played a $1 box.A box can be played in any denomination of $1 or more, but the higher the denomination played, the higher the cost. A $2 exacta box of the same three horses (2-3-4) would cost $12, twice as much as a $1 exacta box, but would also offer the full $2 exacta payout as displayed on the tote board.To determine the cost of a $1 exacta box take the number of horses you want to box and multiply that number by the number of horses in the box minus 1. A $1 exacta box of four horses would be calculated as 4 * (4-1) * $1 = $12, which equates to 12 $1 exacta bets.Below are some additional exacta box calculations with costs:· $1 exacta box of 3 horses = 3 * (3-1) = 6 combinations * $1= $6· $1 exacta box of 4 horses = 4 * (4-1) = 12 combinations * $1 = $12· $1 exacta box of 5 horses = 5 * (5-1) = 20 combinations * $1 = $20· $1 exacta box of 6 horses = 6 * (6-1) = 30 combinations * $1 = $30· $1 exacta box of 7 horses = 7 * (7-1) = 42 combinations * $1 = $42· $1 exacta box of 8 horses = 8 * (8-1) = 56 combinations * $1 = $56You can box as many horses as you like in an exacta, but this is not generally a wise betting strategy simply because all of the horses in the box do not have the same chance of finishing first or second.In most, but not all cases, exacta boxes represent poor value, but because they are relatively easy to understand, mentally easier to play (you dont have to pick the horses in exact order) and offer the greatest probability of cashing a ticket (even at a loss), they are the most popular method of playing exactas.Because exacta boxes rate each combination in the box as having the exact same probability of winning (which is never the case) they produce inefficiencies in the exacta betting pools. It is these inefficiencies that smart bettors look for and try to take advantage of.

Mben

Staff member
Here is the payout listing for the top three horses:<table style="margin:0px;padding:0px;border:0px;font-size:15.555556297302246px;vertical-align:baseline;border-collapse:collapse;width:320px;color:#373737;font-family:'Droid Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;line-height:23.99305534362793px;height:83px;" ><tbody style="margin:0px;padding:0px;border:0px;font-size:15.555556297302246px;vertical-align:baseline;background-color:transparent;">Horse Win Place Show Oxbow$32.80$12.00$6.80Itsmyluckyday-$7.80$5.00Mylute--$5.20 <em style="margin:0px;padding:0px;border:0px;font-size:15.555556297302246px;vertical-align:baseline;background-color:transparent;"> Exacta: (6-9) paid $301.40; Trifecta: (6-9-5) paid $2,061.40; $1 Superfecta: (6-9-5-1) paid $1,817.80.Oxbow was a long shot and won! I won half of the Exact payout of $301.40. Since it was a $1 Exacta bet I placed, I get half. So $150.70! :clap:I kind of did the same thing as I did for the Kentucky Derby. I had put in my list #6 as Governor Charlie (he was #8). My friend corrected me before I bet. So I said screw it. #6 Oxbow was calling my name! I added #8 Gov Charlie into my bet for another $10 instead of betting another ticket leaving #6 out and adding #8. Either way I would have won! In the last 2 weeks, $70 worth of wagers in the KD and the PS and I have walked away with $650 because of long shots! Not bad for some horse racing fun! Giddy Up! -- Edited by Mben on Monday 20th of May 2013 01:18:07 PM

Last edited by a moderator:

omeg

Congrats Mben on your wins!!!Maybe you have the gift and can pick winners easily.Wouldnt that be amazing? Having that sort of gift?My oh my. 

Mben

Staff member
Thanks Pam!As you can see, I had the Trifect and the Superfecta too! Ugh, I wish I would bet that high but can't seem to do it. $60 on one ticket for a Trifecta? But that would have paid me good! Should I chance it for the Belmont which runs June 8th? I don't know. lol But that race will pay higher than the Preakness. The Derby and the Belmont bring in more than the Preakness.

TonyT

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
Very nice.I had the exacta as well but if the 5 would have finished 2nd then I would of hit the tri but the ex. was nice.Yeah it would have cost you $60 for a trifecta ticket with those same horses so I understand you not doing it but afterwards it does stink when you woulda won.On to the Belmont and that almost always pays very nicely.

Mben

Staff member
That's awesome, Tony! :bigclap:So you had the #6 also? Well, you had to have if you won. lol So if the 5 would have finished 2nd then I would of hit the tri , does that mean you didn't box it? You can box a tri, can't you? I'm not an expert and am sure you know a heck of a ton more than me about racing.

TonyT

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
Mben wrote: That's awesome, Tony! :bigclap:So you had the #6 also? Well, you had to have if you won. lol So if the 5 would have finished 2nd then I would of hit the tri , does that mean you didn't box it? You can box a tri, can't you? I'm not an expert and am sure you know a heck of a ton more than me about racing.
 Yes I had the 6 in the gimmicks  but I play my tickets a bit different.I had the 5 to win on a separate bet..which lost ofc but I played 5-6/5-6/all  in the tri which cost only $14(Lost) and did the exacta with 4 horses boxed (2-5-6-9)which cost $24 for a $2 bet.I ain't complaining but as a typical gambler its the shoulda, woulda, coulda thinking after the race. 

Mben

Staff member
TonyT wrote:
Mben wrote: That's awesome, Tony! :bigclap:So you had the #6 also? Well, you had to have if you won. lol So if the 5 would have finished 2nd then I would of hit the tri , does that mean you didn't box it? You can box a tri, can't you? I'm not an expert and am sure you know a heck of a ton more than me about racing.
 Yes I had the 6 in the gimmicks  but I play my tickets a bit different.I had the 5 to win on a separate bet..which lost ofc but I played 5-6/5-6/all  in the tri which cost only $14(Lost) and did the exacta with 4 horses boxed (2-5-6-9)which cost $24 for a $2 bet.I ain't complaining but as a typical gambler its the shoulda, woulda, coulda thinking after the race.
Oh yeah, the bets that are the whatever over the whatever or the all's. I have made a few of those types of bets playing dogs but they are not my usual bets. I'm still too new that I stick with straight boxed wagers. I'm surprised you didn't have Orb in your exacta. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duttnutt223