• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

Predict Your I.Q. ... Sorta

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
[video=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxt2Uo_GuXI] OK, you want to try it? Then watch the video above - the whole thing, preferably full-screen - before you read any further. Got it? Good. Let's see how smart you (maybe) are.In a study run by researchers at the University at Rochester and published in Biology, researchers had subjects watch that same video you just did. They also had them take a standard IQ test. What they found was that people who had an easier time seeing movement in the smaller bars as opposed to the larger ones had - drum roll please - higher IQs. Generally.Why? That's a little tougher to explain. The theory seems to be that people with higher IQs tend to filter out the larger fields of bars kind of like filtering out background noise. And filtering out background noise and focusing on little things happens to be something that comes naturally to folks with high IQs.Of course, <a href="http://io9.com/5959058/further-evidence-that-iq-does-not-measure-intelligence" >having a high IQ doesn't mean you are smart. </a> IQ is obviously a very specific kind of measurement whereas overall intelligence is something a bit more nebulous. More than anything, the study just reveals another little quirk of how the human brain works and provides a point of insight, rather than cracking open the whole idea of smartness. Still, it's an interesting little experiment, and one you can run on yourself, on your own. And then completely dismiss when it doesn't give you the results you wanted to see.<a href="http://gizmodo.com/this-black-and-white-video-can-sorta-predict-your-iq-509885677" >source</a> -- Edited by Mben on Sunday 26th of May 2013 01:36:30 PM[/video]

PSP

Ruler of Western Civilization's Geeky Nerds
I'm not very adept at calculating how you are related to someone, but my fraternal grandmother's brother was Lewis Terman - recognized as the inventor of the IQ test.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_TermanHe was also a very controversial figure with ideas that are not well received now and seem quite dated as well as possibly racist. My sister ended up with invitations to take the Mensa test a few weeks ago. It was obviously flawed - my IQ came in at 142:surprise:

Mben

Staff member
PSP wrote: I'm not very adept at calculating how you are related to someone, but my fraternal grandmother's brother was Lewis Terman - recognized as the inventor of the IQ test.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_TermanHe was also a very controversial figure with ideas that are not well received now and seem quite dated as well as possibly racist. My sister ended up with invitations to take the Mensa test a few weeks ago. It was obviously flawed - my IQ came in at 142:surprise:
Would he be your great uncle then? If so, that is very close to you on your family tree. I see that the apples did not fall far from the tree! :thumb:And 142? Really? You ARE a genuis!!!!! :tongue:

Mben

Staff member
I can see why some of his views were looked at as being racist. Yikes! That's all I'm gonna say about that. Oh except for the you look like Lewis Turman. I definitely see the family resemblance! lol

Mikey7a

PHINSFAN NUMERO UNO
Wow, I'm only a 135, or at least I was last time I tested. 142 amazing! By the way, it WAS the smaller lines I kept up with...for whatever it's worth. lol

Mikey7a

PHINSFAN NUMERO UNO
One more thing about IQ etc. I had a friend that went to school, and became a marine Biologist. She has three degrees! That being said, when it came to everyday, ordinary decisions, she was close to stupid LOL! On the other side of the coin, my father quit school in 5th grade. I might be prejudiced, but he was one of the smartest people I've ever met. No, not book smart, but when it came to common sense, and knowing exactly what to do in life situations, the man rarely made a mistake. I guess I'm saying, like anything else, it's all relative really.

Mben

Staff member
Mikey7a wrote: One more thing about IQ etc. I had a friend that went to school, and became a marine Biologist. She has three degrees! That being said, when it came to everyday, ordinary decisions, she was close to stupid LOL! On the other side of the coin, my father quit school in 5th grade. I might be prejudiced, but he was one of the smartest people I've ever met. No, not book smart, but when it came to common sense, and knowing exactly what to do in life situations, the man rarely made a mistake. I guess I'm saying, like anything else, it's all relative really.
I've never taken an IQ test. I wonder what the results would be. Probably just like your friend who has 3 degrees. I know if I would have applied myself I could have had multiple degrees but I chose a different path in life. That proves what my family has said about me for years .... I am book smart but have no common sense. lol  I laugh but it's true. 
hmm.gif

Last edited by a moderator: