1. Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

Superstitions and Lucky Charms

Discussion in 'MODS CORNER' started by Jewels, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Jewels

Jewels WELL KNOWN MEMBER

Superstitions and Lucky Charms

By Amberly Ashton

Superstitions have been around for ages. Superstition is the irrational belief that an object or behavior has the power to influence an outcome, when there's no logical connection between them. One of many superstitions is the use of lucky charms. Lucky charms are items within cultures that are believed to bring luck. From one time or another I am sure each of us has had a lucky charm that we believed would give us good luck. They could be anything from the traditional lucky charms mentioned below or a favorite dress, a tie, or necklace.

The wishbone is a forked bone found in birds. You may remember holding one side of the wishbone while someone holds it at the same time. You both gently pull and when it breaks the one with the larger portion of the bone is said to receive luck. It's not only considered to be symbol of good luck, but is often associated as being a wish maker.

The horseshoe is another form of a lucky charm. Placing an upright, used horse shoe at the top right corner of your front door frame is considered to be an invitation to good luck to enter your home. Many believe that placing a horseshoe pointing upwards will store good luck inside for an eternity.

The rabbits foot was quite popular in the eighties when you would frequently see them died in a pretty color and hanging from a key chain. The hind foot of a rabbit is said to bring good fortune to its owner.

Finding a penny is also known for good luck. Some believe that finding one means luck is smiling down on you. When you spot a penny laying on the ground be sure to pick it up so you will be blessed with a day full of luck. Remember the old saying "Find a penny, pick it up, and all that day you'll have good luck!"? Also, if you find one do not spend it. Be sure to keep it in a safe place and it will bring you good fortune.

When many of us see a patch of clovers we often can't help ourselves from skimming them to see if we can spot a four leaf clover. A four leaf clover is an uncommon variation of the common, three leaved clover. According to tradition the finder of the four leaf clover will receive good luck. Each leaf of the clover is associated with a different kind of luck and include fame, wealth, love, and health.

The superstitions of good luck charms can be traced to the beliefs people held in olden times. This still rings true today. How about you? Do you have a lucky object, lucky ritual, or lucky item that you wear? What kind of good fortune did you receive with your lucky charm? I would love to hear about it. Either way, lucky charms are a simple belief that one will receive good luck with a particular object. If it helps, why not use them? If you need me I will be in the clover patch looking for my four leaf clover.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014