1. Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

The Joys Of Being A Grandparent

Discussion in 'MODS CORNER' started by Mben, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Mben

Mben No Deposit Forum Admin Staff Member

The Joys Of Being A Grandparent

By Lola Smith

Many of us have children whether they are little still or all grown up. If your children are all grown up, you might be blessed to have grandchildren by them. Oh, the joys of grandchildren! What makes the love for our grandchildren so different then the love we feel for our children? I don't know if this is the case for all grandparents, but it is for me.

My daughter was a wonderful child. She was very sweet, lovable, never caused me any trouble as a baby, toddler, teenager or as a young adult. I love my daughter to the moon and back but what I find myself loving most about her, beyond my unconditional love for her, is the fact that she gave me grandchildren. And I love my grandchildren to the stars and back!

When I think back to when my daughter was small, I was a single parent raising a child by myself with little but some support from her father. Life certainly was stressful back then. I was more concerned with keeping a roof over our heads and food on the table. We had our fun of course, but my focus was on raising her and teaching her right from wrong so she would grow up to be an independent and strong woman just like her mommy. She is just that ... independent and strong ... which means that I did do something right.

Now that I have my grandkids, I find myself loving them so much that it hurts sometimes. They are the light of my life! They make me smile so big when I see them. They make me laugh because of the cute things they say or do. They make me want to live forever so I can watch them grown up, go to college, get married and have children of their own making me a great-grandmother. God willing, all of that is a possibility because I am young enough that I just might be able to live that long.

When I have my grandkids, whether it is to babysit them or to take them on an outing, it's fun. I have no worries about keeping a roof over their heads or food in their mouths other than buying a churro at the fair or getting Slurpees at the local 7-11. I have no worries about having to raise them. The only worry I have is that the amount of fun we have is not too much for us to handle. I don't think that would ever be a problem. I don't have to worry about spending money buying school clothes every year, paying for after school programs, etc, etc. I can spend my money on buying them all the toys that they want. I can spoil them to no end! I will tell them stories about the good old days and will teach and scold when needed but for the most part, it's fun time.

But to be perfectly honest, even though spending time with my grandkids is great, sometimes the best part about the time spent is when I hand them back to their parents. I am a grown adult who has already spent my time raising my child and frankly, at my age, the grandkids wear me out. No matter how much I want to run with them, I am reminded of the age difference and remember I am not the spring chicken I was when I ran with my daughter way back when.

I know that everyone's family life is not the same as mine. Some grandparents may be raising their children's children for some reason or another. In my case, I am thankful that I play the role of a true grandparent and not a parent to the grandkids.

It's a wonderful feeling being a grandma and I thank my daughter so much for giving me my three adorable grandchildren. And also for raising them with the love and care she learned from me as I raised her. When she is a grandma, she will know exactly what I am expressing.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014
  2. nikkidog

nikkidog WELL KNOWN MEMBER

Mben, you said it all. Everything you said is so true.  So beautifully said. Thank you for explaining how wonderful it is to be a grandparent. :thumb:
  3. Mben

Thank you so much for reading that, nikki. :smile: I know you love being a grandparent also. You have shared so much about your grandchildren that I can feel the love you have for them. And I am sure that for either one of us, if it came down to us having to take our grandkids in as our own, we would do it in a heartbeat ... as many grandparents would do.
  4. Jewels

Jewels WELL KNOWN MEMBER

As a Mother of three sons...I haven't had the opportunity to become a Grandmother yet (Thank God....cause my boys are almost 15, 11 and 7). But when I do....I will be making my own article and it would be called The Joys of Being a Grandparent to Granddaughters LOL.......I so look forward to my sons one day giving me Granddaughters. I will take them shopping, get there hair done, help them pick a dress for the dance.....Oh it will be so much fun.
  5. sashasmom

sashasmom WELL KNOWN MEMBER

Mben I couldn't have put my feelings towards my grandchildren more beautifully. After I fell in love with Amelia then Ian I have always said the feelings inside you can compare to nothing else.
  6. Mben

sashasmom, I think I may have wrote that for all of our forum grandparents because you too, make me feel the love you have for your grandkids. :smile:"
    Jewels, when I was pregnant with my daughter, but before I knew I was having a girl, I wanted a boy so bad. I wonder if that is the reason I have such a bond with my grandson. I'm sure it is. And yes, you will have tons of fun doing girl things with your granddaughters! Playing dress up, playing with Barbies, painting fingernails and last but not least, dealing with periods! (omg, did I really just say that? hahaha) Seriously though, I hope you get your wish some day but not any time soon. :wink:
  7. slotgal47

slotgal47 WELL KNOWN MEMBER

Mben it's a blessing to be able to spend time with your grand children. We used to be able to keep my grand son then they moved a few miles away and because of other circumstances with the mom I can't see him much anymore. I miss him so much and they grow up so fast and get to playing sports and all that stuff. Me being disabled I can't travel too much, so you are blessed! We do see him once in a blue moon but that' s not enough!
  8. Mben

slotgal, I'm sure it's very hard not being able to be around grandkids, whether it's because they live in other places or if it's because of family issues. As grandparents, we should have some kind of rights where we can still see the kids and let their parents deal with whatever problems the two have. It' so not fair that you cannot see your grandson like you want to. :(