• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

Time To Cut The Cord!

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone ... I thought I would share a story about what's been going on in my world these last couple of months. I am 47 years old and about to become a big old baby! I have never been away from my family ... father, mother and brother .... since the day I was born up until my mom passed away 15 years ago. Even though I left home at 18 and never looked back because of a strained relationship with my more than strict father growing up, I have always had my family close by that I could count on for almost anything. Well, that's about to change. My brother and wife have been my father's caretakers for the last 15 years as my dad ended up living with them after my mom's passing. My dad is turning 83 in Oct. Anyway, my brother took a new job in Boston, MA. He moved his family up there and since he has been there, he has added a new addition onto the house for my dad so my dad could join them eventually. I have been at their house here in Tucson for 2 months now because first of all the house was not sold and second of all, I have been acting as my dad's caretaker besides the landscaper, the pool cleaner, the maid, the cook, etc., etc. All of that besides helping out with the sale of the house. Getting ready for showings, scooping up my dad to leave for hours at a time while the house was being shown.Well the house sold a couple of weeks ago and the closing is this Thursday. My brother is flying down to close and clear out everything else that was left so the house could show . He and my dad are flying out Sunday morning. So that's it. My family will be 3000 miles away from me and from what I can see as I am writing this, I am going to be a blubbering cry-baby because I am writing through tears right now. I am going to miss them so much but at the same time, I am excited to get back to my home and get back to my normal life which includes spending time with my 2 grandkids and daughter. My brain is fried as I am trying to keep everything organized here with the rest of the packing up, moving, last Dr visits for my dad, etc. Then I have to get my stuff moved out and back to my place. (I brought my desktop from home besides personal stuff like clothes, etc, and acquired another PC while I was here. My laptop is sitting next to it. lol How many computers does one person need?? lol) I am physically and mentally tired and still have this one last week of hell (yes hell because this is like a real moving job and I hate moving!).While all this is going on, I see the sadness in my dad's eyes. He knows this is it. He's leaving Tucson and his daughter and we both know that with his age and health ... well, you know where I am going with that. One thing is for sure. I am so grateful for this time that I have spent with my dad. It has all been a blessing in disguise that I was able to get closer to him in his final years. Thanks for reading and know I'll be back to normal around the forum in a blink of an eye! (after I wipe away a couple of tears)

PSP

Ruler of Western Civilization's Geeky Nerds
I have 5 letters for you....S   K   Y   P   EGet your brother to hook him up with a webcam and a freebie Skype account and you two can video-chat online all day long. Granted, it's not exactly the same, but unless you are willing to relocate to somewhere where they don't understand the concept of sure, it's 110 degrees, but it's a dry heat - this will be an acceptable alternative:thumb:

omeg

Mben,My heart knows what goodbyes are all about.  When we have to say good-bye to family, it is the worst.I'll say prayers for you to have strength during this difficult time and adjustment for you. Also your Father who is starting his new adjustment too.If you need to talk, you have my number.                                                                                                  Pam 

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
PSP, thank you for that excellent idea. It's definitely an acceptable alternative. As far as relocating is concerned, I think I will be considered an AZ native someday (I've been here since I was 12. Shouldn't I be considered a native yet? lol I have mastered the technique of driving with two fingers on the steering wheel during the hot summer. That's a criteria for being considered an AZ native. lol ) because I don't think I will ever leave this hotter than hell state. lolPam, thank you for offering your time (again) to listen to me carrying on like a big baby, if needed. I think once my dad's on the plane and I am home, I'll let all the tears flow for a couple of days and then I'll snap out of it. Life goes on, ya know. I know you know that too well also. We all know that. I do have something to look forward to and that is an all expense paid trip to Boston down the road eventually. I have never been there even though I have lived all over back east. Because I was an Army brat, we lived all over the world in the 12 years before we ended up in Tucson. Again, thanks for listening everyone. :)