1. Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

What Are The Odds?

Discussion in 'MODS CORNER' started by Jewels, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Jewels

Jewels WELL KNOWN MEMBER

What Are The Odds?

By Amberly Ashton

The odds of getting struck by lightning is 1 in 750,000. Getting stuck more than once is 1 in 9 million. That's some unbelievable odds but one Texas man beat those odds not once but twice. Casey Wagner was at an event in 2013 when he was struck by lightning not once but two times. The risk of getting struck remains for up to thirty minutes after the last observed lightning or thunder. With odds that high he never would have thought this could happen to him. Fortunately, he lived to fight another day.

His story got me to thinking what are the odds of some of my favorite pastimes. I love playing slots. It is a real pleasure for me. I have never won a jackpot ever. Now I see why. One of my favorite slots is the classic machine Double Diamond. Chances of hitting the 2500 coin jackpot are 1 in 46,000. I never really thought about the odds of winning but I would have thought it was much less. I've played Lucky Larry's Loberstermania a few times but didn't fair too well. The chances of winning the 10 to 50 thousand coin jackpot has an astonishing 1 in 49 million chance of paying out. I actually have a better chance of becoming the President with much lower odds of 1 in 10 million! Wow! Who would have thought?

When I was born I had a 10% chance of being born left handed. I have three sons and they all had a 1 in 250 chance of becoming a genius. Those are pretty low odds but I guess it all comes back to my bad luck. I can say however, even with the chance of 1 in 5,000 I have never been struck by an asteroid.

I know most of us dream about winning the lottery jackpot! Sadly the odds are stacked against us. The chance of that becoming a reality is only 1 in 175 million! Now it does happen to some and their life is forever changed but chances of it happening are very slim. Someone has to win so I will continue to purchase my weekly tickets just in case. I am actually 13 more times likely to to pick a perfect NCAA bracket. The odds are 1 in 13.4 million. Well I guess I can cross that off my list as well. I am also 27 more times likely of hitting a Royal Flush than hitting the lottery. Winning the lottery may be out of my reach but I guess I can look forward to being audited by the I.R.S with chances only of a 1 in 175.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014