1. Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

What is a Purr?

Discussion in 'MODS CORNER' started by Sookie, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Sookie

Sookie Mother of Cats

What is a Purr?
    By Christina Applebaum

What is better than the sound of a purring cat? If you asked me my answer would be - Nothing! I love laying my ear against my cat and listening to him purr. I ask him "Are you going to sing me a song?" That's what it is to me - a cat song. Honestly the only thing I can think of that's better than a purring cat is a purring kitten! Yes, I am a "Crazy Cat Lady" if you haven't figured it out yet.

How Do Cats Purr?

Basically it's a separation of the vocal cords, during both inhalation and exhalation which makes the sound seem constant. It results in the purr as they breathe in and out.

Purring Is Not Just For Cats

Cats that can't roar purr. Example: house cats, bobcats, even mountain lions.

And cats that can roar can't purr. Example: tigers and lions.

But you don't have to be a cat to purr. Squirrels, skunks, raccoon, and guinea pigs also purr.

Why Do They Purr?

Purring is a sign of ultimate contentment. Cats will purr when eating, getting petted, and when generally just happy. A cat will purr to soothe itself too and because of this cats will also purr when in pain. Female cats have been observed purring during labor.

Whatever their reason i'm just glad they do. I hate to think of a world without purring.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  2. I_am_Loni

I_am_Loni WELL KNOWN MEMBER

I purr! No, really! I swear! My cat, Blue and I lay together and purr at each other! Oh, since my last name is Green, his name is Blue Green, and I have another cat: BBC (Big Black Cat) and Red, so go figure, huh? And, my David used to say, You can't stay angry looking at a purring cat.
  3. Sookie

Sookie Mother of Cats

Beautiful cats Loni. And awesome cat names ( I love BBC! ). I've been known to purr a little too! And he was right,You can't stay angry looking at a purring cat!
  4. Jewels

Jewels WELL KNOWN MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014
  5. Sookie

Sookie Mother of Cats