• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

What would you do.......What else could you do.......

omeg

Hi Gang:A huge problem everyone who lives in this part of Michigan Country is the possibility of hitting a deer while driving.  It matters not day or night, at any moment they can shoot out from the ditch or side of the road and BAM, all thats left to do is call your insurance company.  SighI have been fortunate enough to never actually hit one, although I have run over one that was already hit. The other night, I am sound asleep. Suddnenly, Roxie my lab mix barks loud enough to wake the dead.  Scared the hell out of me.  I get up and peek outside, and I see a van stopped, and a deer in the road.  Yep, right outside my house a man hit a deer.  I didnt know whether to get involved or not. It happened to be 2:30am, and I didnt know what type of person this was that had just hit the deer.  Could of been drunk at that time of night for all I knew. The next thing I saw was this guy kinda pushing the deer with his foot. Obviously to see if the deer had expired.  Looked dead enough to me from where I was standing.The next thing I was hoping was this guy needed the meat, or knew some one who did, so they wouldnt leave the deer in the road to rot and smell up the air.I watched a while longer, expecting to see the police show up, or the Dept of Natural Resources to offer this guy assictance, but as of that moment, nothing.Another car stopped by and offered assistance, but he waved them on.He begins to drag the deer over the back of his van (less one headlight). It looked as if he was going to take the deer with him. Good.Just then............BAM, that deer started kicking and shaking.  It wasnt dead after all.   I saw that deer start struggling, and it made my heart ache.  Just to let other know, I love the WhiteTail deer.  I think they are beautiful and majestic creatures.  I dont hunt myself, but I understand the need to do so to control population levels.I decided to go out, and see if I could do anything.  The man turned out to be very nice, and older guy, who was just coming home from listening to some music with his friends.  I took my 6 cell mag light to offer him, as he had a small flashlight which wasnt doing any good.After introductions, The man and I sort of stared at eachother,  and then the deer, then back to eachother.  I knew what he was thinking, and I knew it had to be done.  The deer had to be put out of its misery. It was bleeding from the mouth, and had two broken legs.  This was the worst case scenerio for anyone who hits a deer. You can only hope they die instantly, but usually, it isnt the case.At this point I was no help. My love for any life, and animals made me useless to help the man with this situation.  I bawled right there. I absolutley felt horrible for this deer.  It was a 4 point buck.  I tried to be strong. Many may laugh at the fact I cried for a injured deer.  It is just how my heart is. All I'll say is he did the job, and it was over.  I saw the whole thing, and 2 days later it still bothers me.  This man didnt have a gun to make it quick, so he used the tools available to him. I offered him a tarp to take the deer in his vehicle to make use of the venison.  At least this deer will fill the bellies of a hungry family.I went back to bed, unable to sleep with the memory of that poor deer in my head.The next day the same man knocks on my door.  He was returning my tarp, and he offered me the little 4 point rack that came from the deer.  He knew I had trouble with the night before. I talked to the man for like an hour, and I really think I made a friend. He was very thankful I helped him that night.  Even though he was a big ol'e burly guy, I know he felt bad too.  Likely cause I did. hahaI guess my point to this story is just that sometimes no matter how hard it is, and it cant be much tuffer than having to end a life, you have to do it. It simply is the right thing to do.  For the sake of the bigger picture. The only other choice is not do the right thing, and live with yourself knowing that. Many of us might sit here and say, I could never do that.   Yet if put in that position, perhaps we could.Thanks for reading.                                                                                  Pam   

Last edited by a moderator:

PSP

Ruler of Western Civilization's Geeky Nerds
I will retire my inner smarta$$ for a few moments: You did everything that you could have done - everything that you should have done. These things happen and there isn't anything reasonable that could have been done to prevent this from happening. It's OK to be sad at what happened, but not bad - it was the compassionate choice.

omeg

PSP wrote: I will retire my inner smarta$$ for a few moments: You did everything that you could have done - everything that you should have done. These things happen and there isn't anything reasonable that could have been done to prevent this from happening. It's OK to be sad at what happened, but not bad - it was the compassionate choice.
 PSP: I want you to know I appreciate you when you retire your inner smartass for a few moments, to read my story. :roll:Thanks for that.                                                                                   Pam

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
Accidents happen, Pam and when they do, someone has to make a choice to not let an animal suffer. Remember what you told me when I had to put my poor old chihuahua down a couple of weeks ago? Not to think about me but to think about her and how she was starting to suffer from old age. Death is hard to deal with, no matter human or animal.