• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

World’s most expensive Monopoly set heads for Wall Street

omeg

Hi gang: I don't know if anyone else out there likes Monopoly, but I happen to love the game, and I found this article really cool.  Thought maybe someone else might too. I would LOVE to play a game on this board.  Holy Cow.                                                                                                  PamEven the most mundane of Monopoly sets contains over $20,000 in fake money -- but this custom-made, jewel-encrusted one-off is estimated to be worth over $2 million, and its headed, appropriately enough, for Wall Street.<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" >
gold-monopoly_532x399.jpg
San Francisco jeweler Sidney Mobell created the set in the 1980s after he heard about a Monopoly tournament taking place in London. It took a year to complete, and its only been played once, in an exhibition game between Mobell and former British Prime Minister Edward Heath. Mobell donated it to the Smithsonian in 2003.According to the <a href="http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2010/10/13/a-monopoly-board-thats-too-rich-for-boardwalk/?mod=rss_WSJBlog&mod=WSJ_NY_NY_Blog" > Wall St. Journal </a>, 84-year-old Mobell has made his career crafting bizarre, decadent objets d'art. Hes made diamond-encrusted yo-yos and mousetraps, as well as solid gold sardine cans, cellphonesand eyeballs, the Journal reports. Not to mention a gold toilet seat and garbage cans, long before John Thains $35,000 commode made headlines. And Monopoly is not his only contribution to the rarefied world of lavish board games: Mobell has also made bejeweled backgammon, dominos and chess sets. Whys his Monopoly set so expensive? Its made from 18-karat gold, for starters, and the bling-heavy board is decorated with 165 gems. The two dice are worth $10,000 (dont lose one under the couch, whatever you do), and boast 42 diamonds for the number pips. The Chance and Community Chest cards are photo-etched sheets.If you want to see it for yourself, its going on display this week at the Museum of American Finance in New York City. And according to Mobell, its not for sale.

Last edited by a moderator: