• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

DINNER VS SUPPER

krystalkitty

Greedy Gambler
Dinner and supper Dinner is considered the main meal of the day whenever it takes place. Supper is a light evening meal, as lunch (or luncheon) is a light midday meal. They both tend to refer to an evening meal, dinner (or sometimes tea) generally used by the lower and middle classes, and supper the name of the evening meal for middle to upper social classes. Never knew that....learn something new everyday!

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
Growing up, my family called it supper and somewhere along the line I started calling it dinner. It had to have been after I moved out of the house. And that's because no one I knew outside of my family called it supper. Maybe I'll start calling it that again. lol

omeg

My Step-Mother was quite a bit older than my Father, and she was certainly was set in her old ways.She always called it SUPPER. She was not from the South, but was from a family that didnt have alot to call their own.If you are wealthy perhaps you call it Dinner. With an accent even. heheIf you are not so wealthy, such as my Step-Mother, and now myself,  perhaps you call it Supper. Just my humerous take on the situation.                                                                                    Pam.

Last edited by a moderator:

krystalkitty

Greedy Gambler
I go out to dinner and have supper at home...So pmm's theory is correct in my eyes...If I have lots of money then I go out to dinner

Last edited by a moderator:

cat034

KITTY CAT 034
great post kk i never really thought about it now i wonder how many words southerns say that people from the north would have a hard time understanding