• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

Do you believe in miracles? YES!

Sookie

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
I don't think I'e ever watched a single hockey game in my whole life but that was pretty cool. (no pun intended)

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
What was the "miracle"?

That the US kept the USSR from scoring and won?

Or was a goal made after all that? One I missed seeing because everyone was flying around in the rink?

And after searching, I get it now. The Soviets were expected to "steamroll" their competition, including the USA, during the Winter Olympics. This win put us in the Gold game and after beating Finland, we won the Gold in Hockey that Olympic year. (did I get it right? lol)

Reactions: Sookie

PSP

Ruler of Western Civilization's Geeky Nerds
Pretty much.

At the time, athletes had to be "amateur" to compete in the Olympics. The American team was comprised of college athletes who weren't good enough to play in the NHL at a young age. The Soviet team, on the other hand, was essentially the Soviet Red Army team - men against boys. The Soviets wouldn't allow their players to play in the NHL. Every couple of years, the Soviets would send over their team to play a series of games against the NHL All Star team and the Soviets were an equal match for the best that North America could muster.

The closest analogy I can come up with would be watching a football high school All Star team play the Denver Broncos. While they might get lucky for a play or two, in the end it would be a slaughter.

To really see why it was a "miracle", take a look at the movie "Miracle" from about 10 years ago starring Kurt Russell - definitely a "feel good" movie...

Reactions: Mben and Sookie

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
To really see why it was a "miracle", take a look at the movie "Miracle" from about 10 years ago starring Kurt Russell - definitely a "feel good" movie...

Will do. I "love feel good" movies.

Van7Diesel

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
:hi:I remember this match!It was an INCREDIBLE MATCH. I fully agree that it was a MIRACLE). Such a victory, a real one).:theman: I then developed a real passion for hockey. I was fascinated by hockey in my childhood.:cool2:

Reactions: Mben and PMM