• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

Virtual Kentucky Derby Set For 'The First Saturday In May'

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
Kentucky Derby 2019.png

Making it through the first Saturday in May without a Kentucky Derby will be tough for a lot of people in the Bluegrass State. Churchill Downs has a plan, though.

The home of the Run for the Roses is planning to host a day-long at-home virtual Kentucky Derby party that'll feature a virtual race between each Triple Crown winner to raise $2 million for COVID-19 emergency relief funds.

Even though the 146th Kentucky Derby Presented by Woodford Reserve has been postponed until Sept. 5 due to public health concerns over the growing coronavirus pandemic, Churchill Downs wants fans to honor the annual tradition while staying “Healthy at Home," according to a news release from Churchill Downs.

A special broadcast will air on NBC on May 2 from 3-6 p.m. featuring the 2015 Kentucky Derby that kicked off American Pharoah’s historic Triple Crown run. In addition, the NBC broadcast will highlight Churchill Downs’ first-ever virtual horse race — The Kentucky Derby: Triple Crown Showdown, a computer-simulated version of a race under the historic Twin Spires of Churchill Downs.

The virtual race, created by Inspired Entertainment, will feature the 13 past Triple Crown winners and use data algorithms, including historical handicapping information about each horse, which helps to determine the probability of their potential finishing positions.

“The anticipation of which Triple Crown winner will emerge as the ultimate champion is thrilling,” Bill Carstanjen, CEO of Churchill Downs Incorporated, said in the release, “but most importantly, we ... urge fans to join us by donating and celebrating with us from home.”

NBC's broadcast will be called "The First Saturday in May" and will include interviews with jockeys, owners and others involved with the sport. More details will be announced this week.

Want to get in on the action? Starting April 30, fans can visit KentuckyDerby.com to choose their favorite horse to win the virtual race and make a charitable donation to COVID-19 emergency relief efforts. Participants who select the winning horse will be entered to win the ultimate Kentucky Derby 146 VIP Experience.

Read the full article here.

Reactions: TonyT and dji420

TonyT

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
I been playing the ponies since i was 17 and this Saturday is not gonna be the same. Yes i am glad they are still gonna run the Derby in Sept. but the 1st Saturday in May was like Christmas to us horse players.

I am gonna watch this for sure and gonna put some $$$ for charity on Secretariat.

Reactions: dji420 and Mben

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
I been playing the ponies since i was 17 and this Saturday is not gonna be the same. Yes i am glad they are still gonna run the Derby in Sept. but the 1st Saturday in May was like Christmas to us horse players.

I am gonna watch this for sure and gonna put some $$$ for charity on Secretariat.
Secretariat. Great choice!

I've been known to put money down on horses. I haven't in a few years, but used to go to a track south of Tucson to watch live races on KD day and place OTBs on the derby. Had a nice win one year... because I screwed up giving them my numbers. lol

Reactions: dji420 and TonyT

TonyT

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
2020 Virtual Kentucky Derby Field (with odds)​
Post PositionHorseTriple-Crown-Winning YearJockeyTrainerMorning-Line Odds
1Affirmed1978Steve CauthenLaz Barrera5-1
2Assault1946Warren MehrtensMax Hirsch20-1
3Secretariat1973Ron TurcotteLucien Lauren7-2
4Sir Barton1919Johnny LoftusGuy Bedwell20-1
5Seattle Slew1977Jean CruguetBilly Turner Jr.5-1
6American Pharoah2015Victor EspinozaBob Baffert6-1
7Gallant Fox1930Earl Sande"Sunny" Jim Fitzsimmons20-1