• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

Ever wonder what it was like to grow up in Southern California in the 60s?

PSP

Ruler of Western Civilization's Geeky Nerds
A friend of mine is/was the bass player for the surf band "The Challengers". They had a few serious hits and played in a ton of concerts and TV shows.

Randy just posted a link to a concert from October 1963 where they performed. No big stars here - just The Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, The Surfaris, Bobby Rydell, and Soupy Sales :surprise:

Check it out!

Reactions: Mben

PSP

A sad update - my buddy Randy died from a heart attack Thursday night. He had a very tough last few months of his life. Although there was nothing in his health history to predict the heart attack, he lost his house in the Woolsey Fire in Malibu. The saddest part of that was that he had an animal rescue on his property and most of the animals were killed in the fire.

His music and passion for good causes will live on...

PMM

A sad update - my buddy Randy died from a heart attack Thursday night. He had a very tough last few months of his life. Although there was nothing in his health history to predict the heart attack, he lost his house in the Woolsey Fire in Malibu. The saddest part of that was that he had an animal rescue on his property and most of the animals were killed in the fire.

His music and passion for good causes will live on...

I'm so very sorry to hear PSP.

Life is a gift, and to be cherished, each and every day.

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
I'm sorry for your loss, PSP.

And it's heart breaking to hear what he went through ... losing his house, his animals. :(

Reactions: PMM

PSP

Fortunately (for me anyway), we weren't that close, but it was still a major shock. He wasn't THAT much older than I am - and was seemingly in excellent shape.

I guess you just never know when "the call" will happen....

Reactions: Mben and PMM

PSP

As if being in one of the most successful surf bands wasn't enough, look what I just discovered - Randy was one of the faces on the Beatle's "Sgt. Pepper's" album cover!
Go to http://www.nauert.com/ and then click on Music - 2nd to last link.

I am officially blown away!

Mben

Staff member
How awesome!

Is that him?

randy.png

PSP

Back in the day, we would sail Hobie Cats off the beach. He started a mile or so North West of me, but we were sailing in the same conditions on the same days. I didn't really know him back then, but since reconnecting on Facebook, I realize that we were doing the same thing at essentially the same time. I wish that I could explain just how fun/satisfying it was, but I can't. You had to be there to appreciate it. The exhilaration was intoxicating - more satisfying than anything else that I have ever done. A few of my friends got to experience it - and were blown away, even on less than ideal days.

I got to live it - and it did seriously change me forever. I apologize that I can't properly express the experience, but I haven't found anyone yet who has.

Reactions: Mben and PMM

PSP

I am constantly blown away by the interactions/contacts that I had growing up in such a special place. Not all of them were good or positive, but they were all incredibly influential!

Reactions: PMM and Mben

Mben

Staff member
If you click on the link, and then 21 - that's him!
Well I was way off! lol I was going by his picture holding the lobster. not thinking it would be a picture of a younger him.

And I didn't read anything past the picture otherwise ... well you know.

Reactions: PMM