• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

Happy Birthday to my cousin Lewis Terman!

PSP

Ruler of Western Civilization's Geeky Nerds
My cousin Lewis is currently taking a "Vault Nap" (as contrasted with a dirt nap :surprise:)

He would be a spry 142 today! His historical significance is very interesting. He was much a very product of his time. Cousin Lewis was one of the original developers of the Stanford-Binet IQ test and was father to another of my cousins - Frederick Terman, who is renowned as one of the Fathers of Silicon Valley. "Fred" was the President of Stanford University for many years and both father and son have major buildings named after them at Stanford.

Did that help either me or either of my 2 daughters get accepted to Stanford? (even though we all had exceptional grades, impeccable records, and MENSA level IQs)

Let's get real - who would accept ME for a prestigious university? OK, so I got to go to the public university across SF Bay (that would be UC Berkeley) while my daughters got accepted to UC Irvine and UCLA along with a dozen or so other top-level schools - including multiple Ivy League schools.

Bitter? Me? Well, yeah! In fact, those elitist bastards at Stanford can go fornicate themselves!

Isn't history fun? :brian:

Reactions: Mben and PMM

PMM

I love history. Those are some really cool facts PSP.

How cool is that to be related to someone of such a renowned career.

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Mben

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
Isn't history fun? :brian:
Super fun when you give us your recap of it! :)

And what Pam said ... how cool to have such cool relatives!

And I'm sure they'd have thought you were cool too, even though you went to a public university. lol

Reactions: PMM

PSP

Super fun when you give us your recap of it! :)

And what Pam said ... how cool to have such cool relatives!

And I'm sure they'd have thought you were cool too, even though you went to a public university. lol

Those elitist bastards can go suck it! - and I mean that in the best possible way! :surprise:

(We will ignore the fact that UC Berkeley accepted less than 5% of the applicants! At the time, it was premier public university in the nation - and the Engineering school (which I was accepted to) was even more selective than rest of the University!

Would I have gone to Stanford if I had been accepted? To put this in perspective, we are talking about 50 years ago...

At the time, yes! At the time, I was unaware of my genetic connection to several incredibly influential icons at Stanford. It turns out that my two relatives have been outed as incredible racists. Their opinions were based on scientific data, so I can't totally discount their views, but in today's world, their opinions are not considered "enlightened".

As such, I will accept the current interpretation of their work - and turn the page!

I guess that I'm glad that I didn't get accepted to Stanford - even though Chelsea Clinton and Tiger Woods did. Is it OK if I call them racist elitists now? :thumb:

Reactions: Mben

PSP

I wasn't totally surprised that I wasn't accepted there. I had a good friend who also lived in Malibu at the time who was one year ahead of me at Santa Monica HS. He hadn't really accomplished much during his time in HS - he was only Student Body President in a 3 year HS with over 3,000 kids. His GPA was 4.0 in a time when that was as good as it got. He was quarterback of the B football team because he wasn't big enough to play Varsity - and Captain of the Tennis team that won the SoCal Championship. Did I mention that he was a scratch golfer that played at Rivera Country Club along with the rest of the team. His father was a world-renown composer and arranger for all sorts of influential music industry icons - I went over there one afternoon and heard music coming out of the studio that they had in the guest house. It was Frank Sinatra....

Jack Pritchett didn't get accepted to Stanford - not enough outside activities.....

Mben

Staff member
... I went over there one afternoon and heard music coming out of the studio that they had in the guest house. It was Frank Sinatra....
You've led quite a life, PSP!

But this bitterness you have ... have you seen anyone for it? :p

Gotta go. They just called my table ... "bitter party of one, you table's ready." :lol:

PSP

I know that many of you are calling BS on a lot of what I post here. Let me assure you that it is all true. Growing up in Malibu in the 60s was a wild time of experiences and events that it's hard to believe that they are true, but they are! I was exposed to so many in the entertainment industry like Sinatra and Steve McQueen and the scary fringe people like Dennis Wilson and Charles Manson. After going to UC Berkeley for several years, I transferred to UCLA and joined a fraternity. My original roommate was Bill Hodgman - one of the OJ prosecuters. I hope that you watched the documentary that A&E had on Manson. One of the girls prominently featured on that show was Nancy Pitman - one of maybe 100 kids in my junior high school class at Malibu Park Jr High.

I seem to be a magnet to all of the TMZ crap of the last 50 years - well before TMZ came into existence! I will spare you all (or most anyway) of the more recent stuff

(but you know it's coming!)

Reactions: PMM and Mben

Mben

Staff member
I know that many of you are calling BS on a lot of what I post here. Let me assure you that it is all true.
I totally believe you, and my comment about the life you've led was sincere. And to the point I'm a little bit jealous. lol