• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

How cool is this! 3.0

PSP

Ruler of Western Civilization's Geeky Nerds
I can't embed this video here, but copy and paste it to your address bar. It's extremely well made and :surprise:http://vimeo.com/58820051This will give you just a little taste...
surfer-portugal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
Holy Crap!!!! That was totally cool, dude!!!! (to put it crudely) ...... How big does a person's balls have to be to be able to do stuff like this???? I can't imagine even thinking about doing something like that let alone doing it. I'm a wimp! hahahaha

PSP

Cowabunga!:metal:It's not quite as dangerous as it might seem to the uninitiated. The surfers are wearing a special vest with automatic flotation and emergency scuba gear built into it so that they can stay underwater for close to 10 minutes if necessary.The scary part is the wave that starts at the 1:50 mark. The dude wipes out, then has to swim like hell to not get sucked over the falls. you can see him at the peak of the breaking wave at the 2:23 mark:surprise: 

PSP

Ooops- forgot 2 other thoughts on why it's not as dangerous as it might seem1. They do have the waverunners to pull them out of danger pretty quickly if necessary2. Most of the big wave surfing places have big waves because the open ocean swell hits a relatively shallow reef causing the wave to pop up. If you wipe out, the water isn't very deep, so you have a pretty good chance of hitting the bottom which is usually rocky or coral - not a good thing.This wave is different. The height of the wave is amplified by a wave reflecting off of the point where the lighthouse is. You can see that in the early shots from the cliffs. This allows the wave to break in much deeper water than most big waves. There is a place in Southern Mexico where I have surfed in a kayak that breaks much like this. The biggest that I have been out in was around 25'. It was actually quite thrilling. It wasn't dangerous because the water was deep (around 15'). The waves broke about 1 1/2 miles offshore and then reformed as the water got much deeper before getting to the beach. The hardest part was if you wiped out and lost your kayak or surfboard, the wave would wash it in until the wave reformed - about 1/2 mile. That was a nice, long swim :thumb:Cajones grandes!

Mben

Staff member
PSP wrote: The scary part is the wave that starts at the 1:50 mark. The dude wipes out, then has to swim like hell to not get sucked over the falls. you can see him at the peak of the breaking wave at the 2:23 mark
I saw that. I watched him dive into the water and thought Oh crap! That huge wave is gonna kill him! Then I saw him at the peak like you said. Sitting on top of it like the king of the world! Too cool!

Mben

Staff member
PSP wrote: Ooops- forgot 2 other thoughts on why it's not as dangerous as it might seem1. They do have the waverunners to pull them out of danger pretty quickly if necessary2. Most of the big wave surfing places have big waves because the open ocean swell hits a relatively shallow reef causing the wave to pop up. If you wipe out, the water isn't very deep, so you have a pretty good chance of hitting the bottom which is usually rocky or coral - not a good thing.This wave is different. The height of the wave is amplified by a wave reflecting off of the point where the lighthouse is. You can see that in the early shots from the cliffs. This allows the wave to break in much deeper water than most big waves. There is a place in Southern Mexico where I have surfed in a kayak that breaks much like this. The biggest that I have been out in was around 25'. It was actually quite thrilling. It wasn't dangerous because the water was deep (around 15'). The waves broke about 1 1/2 miles offshore and then reformed as the water got much deeper before getting to the beach. The hardest part was if you wiped out and lost your kayak or surfboard, the wave would wash it in until the wave reformed - about 1/2 mile. That was a nice, long swim :thumb:Cajones grandes!
Muy grande cajones!!!!! Hats off to you for hanging ten !! The people on the Ski Doos ..... were they the waverunners?-- Edited by Mben on Friday 8th of February 2013 01:23:38 PM

PSP

Jetski = skidoo = waverunner = lo mismo :) (aka pretty much the same)

Mben

Staff member
PSP wrote: Jetski = skidoo = waverunner = lo mismo :) (aka pretty much the same)
 LOL The waverunner is another name for a ............... ok, nevermind, I get it now. I thought a waverunner was a person, not a machine. hahaha :homer:-- Edited by Mben on Friday 8th of February 2013 01:54:58 PM