• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

I need help with the EURO Symbol

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
I have looked all over the internet and cannot find a fix or an answer as to what I need to do.  See this symbol? 
220px-Moreeurosigns.png
The Euro.   I am trying to make Intl posts and I can copy and paste the Euro symbol from other posts, I can create the symbol using the code of numeric reference & # 8 3 6 4; (no spaces) and the entity reference & e u r o; (no spaces)   I can get the symbol to appear in my post when I am creating the post.   What happens though, after I hit submit, the symbol turns into a black diamond with a question mark (?) in it.   HELP!! What do I need to do so the Euro appears correctly in my posts?   I am using:   OS: Win XP - Home Edition Browser: Chrome, IE and FireFox   Here is what I am seeing after I submit the post.     Who else sees a black diamond?   Writing this post, I see the Euro symbol just fine, after I submit it, is the problem.   Any help would be much appreciated. -- Edited by Mben on Wednesday 29th of September 2010 07:21:50 PM-- Edited by Mben on Tuesday 20th of August 2013 03:46:03 PM

Last edited by a moderator:

Mben

Staff member
LOL I don't even see the black diamond. It disappears altogether. UGH!!!!!!!!!!

Mben

Staff member
This is a test. I can put it in the subject line and it appears. -- Edited by Mben on Wednesday 29th of September 2010 09:19:17 PM

LhasaLover

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
It's got something to do with the programming of this board, and how it interprets the code we're using.  I get a small square box, instead of the diamond you're seeing.  It most likely needs to be fixed on the backend of the board, if possible.

Mben

Staff member
That's a thought LhasaLover. I get the box when I am in IE and the diamond when I am in Chrome. The thing is though, other's have and can post with the Euro symbol.

Mben

Staff member
This is another test .................. here goes!!!             

Mben

Staff member
Thanks PSP for the fix or the workaround, I should say!!! -- Edited by Mben on Thursday 30th of September 2010 01:12:05 AM

Mben

Staff member
The workaround is that those are jpg's."
"
I saved the symbol in PhotoShop and then saved as a jpg and kept shrinking them down. Saved each size so I can plug them where I need to depending on the font size in the posts. "
"
PSP said that was all he could come up with."
"
There has got to be a fix and not a workaround but this should do for now until I find it.

Mben

Staff member
As you can see, this is a very old thread but I wanted to update it in case anyone was still interested. "
The reason why I cannot post the EURO symbol is because of the Character Encoding setting for the forum. It is set to a type of Western European encoding where the UTF-8 encoding will display the proper symbols for me. But after I made this change (the symbol appeared ... Yay!), posts that were made in the past had black diamond question marks in Chrome (squares in IE) all over the place. Not very pretty. "
Support had to make the switch back for me so the forum didn't look a mess. Why did they have to fix it? Because they just happen to working on this issue and and as soon as an admin (me in this case) changes over to the UTF-8 option, the drop down disappears to be able to choose any encoding formats. "
They will be converting all the forums they support over to UTF-8 eventually ... without making prior posts unpleasant looking with black diamond question marks (or squares) all over the place. "
Thank goodness for support! lol