• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

Long Live the Cicadas!

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
So it's been 17 years ..... 17 YEARS! .... since we have been honored with the Cicadas massive presence. 1996 was the last time they made their presence known. So why do they go into hiding for so long? Just to mature, emerge, mate, lay their eggs and then die. Their babies will be born in 6 to 8 weeks and then they will start the cycle all over again only to be seen in 17 years from now. Cicadas are present in the Northeastern states. Even though I live in the Southwest, I do remember what they are or rather what they sound like. I can't remember if it was from when I was a child living in the Northeast or if there was a stray Cicada or two that made it's way to Arizona. lol So for those of you who will be kept up at night from their buzzing ... enjoy it. 17 years is a long time to wait to see, hear, experience the mating dance of the Cicadas!  NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) - The 17-year cicadas are emerging, and for the next few weeks, millions will be filling the night with their ominous buzz.As 1010 WINS' Al Jones reported Wednesday, while the human population may not appreciate the cicadas, there are plenty of creatures that do. The birds and the raccoons and so on - these animals will feed on them so much to the point where they get just sick of eating them, and there are still millions left, said biology professor Dr. Gene Kritsky. That's their whole survival strategy, and they're doing this just to reproduce. Kritsky said hundreds of cicadas may fill one tree.As CBS 2's Lou Young explained last month, scientists are tracking 15 different broods of periodic cicadas, insects that spend 17 years below ground and emerge with wings, flying around, making noise and mating in the last weeks of their life.The current group, Brood No. 2, is one of the largest ever - numbering in the billions.Their noisy mating call has been measured at 100 decibels, similar to the noise created by a subway train.This year, the activity is expected to spread from Georgia to New Hampshire, with parts of the New York Metro area seeing the largest numbers. People in northern New Jersey, Westchester and coastal Connecticut are expecting a noisy summer.The thing to remember is that the cicadas will not hurt you, beyond keeping you up at night and crunching underfoot after they mate and die.And the adults only have a lifespan of four weeks.After the cicadas mate, the females lay their eggs and then they die, University of Connecticut research scientist John Cooley told WCBS 880's Wayne Cabot. The eggs then hatch six to eight weeks later and the little cicadas go into the ground to start the 17-year cycle all over again   
130503-coslog-cicada-525p.photoblog600.jpg
-- Edited by Mben on Thursday 23rd of May 2013 01:52:11 PM

Last edited by a moderator: