• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

My name is PSP, and I am a geek.....

PSP

Ruler of Western Civilization's Geeky Nerds
I found a link online to the Microsoft site and signed up for their beta testing team. I then went on the Toshiba website and bought a Windows 8.1 laptop. As soon as it arrived, I downloaded the beta version of Windows 10 and loaded it -I must say that it is pretty cool! You'll be very happy when it comes out in 6 months.....

Reactions: irishgilly

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
How cool, PSP!

So what happened to Win 9 (lol) and how similar or different is Win 10 from Win 8?

PSP

How cool, PSP!

So what happened to Win 9 (lol) and how similar or different is Win 10 from Win 8?

Windows 9 got axed because they had Windows 95 and Win98 -.....

Windows 10 is like a meld between Win7 and Win8. It seems much easier to use and much more intuitive - it seems very cool so far....

PSP

I might be in the serious minority here, but if you happen to have a "spare" computer laying around that will run Windows 7 or Windows 8 / 8.1, go to the Windows 10 Technical Preview site and download & install Win 10. It's not that difficult - and it's free!

Mben

Staff member
I just noticed a notification in my systray. It is a tiny windows icon. I hover over it and it says "Get Windows 10".

WOO HOO ... it's out!

I'll download it later.

Reactions: Sookie

PSP

I just noticed a notification in my systray. It is a tiny windows icon. I hover over it and it says "Get Windows 10".

WOO HOO ... it's out!

I'll download it later.

Windows 10 is being released July 29 - and it is supposed to be a free upgrade for Win 7, Win 8, and Win 8.1 users.

Mben

Staff member
Ok, you made me click the notification. lol I can reserve it now. Cool!

Win 10.png

chillymellow

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
hey, are we in some parallel universe thing here MBEN cuz I also found that and pushed the button. I'm going to quit trying to figure out this Windows 8 whatever crud on my new laptop because the new thing is headed toward us like a Texas Twister!

Mben

Staff member
I pretty much have Win 8.1 down pat. I'm curious as to how much of a change Win 10 (or that Texas Twister) will be for us who upgrade.

I'll see come July 29th. Because usually I'm like "bigger? better? faster? newer? ... I'm there!" :sprint: lol

Sookie

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
I have Win7 Pro and I have used Win8. I don't like Win8 and I'm not sure I want to change from Win7 ... see I just barely stopped using Windows XP (stop laughing) and Win7 acts just like XP.

Reactions: irishgilly and Mben

Sookie

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
Would you believe I have never even SEEN Win 7?
I love it. Belgamo is pretty smart (as you know) and he told me to use it instead of 8 when I switched from XP and right away I could see why. I didn't have to "learn" anything. I mean it looks different but everything is right where I expect it to be so it was a pretty smooth transition.

Mben

Staff member
Both of you very easily would have mastered Win 8.

chillymellow

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
I don't like it much either, want my start menu back can never find anything. Going to not learn any more of it because I am moving up to 10 when it arrives.

Reactions: Mben and Sookie

Mben

Staff member
I don't like it much either, want my start menu back can never find anything. Going to not learn any more of it because I am moving up to 10 when it arrives.
I added a start menu. Did the same for my daughter.

From what I read online, that was a big deal for a lot of people including me. I felt lost without it.

chillymellow

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
I have found the start menu in 8 but still not happy with it. I'm going to wait until the July date, though. My beta days are over.

Mben

Staff member
Windows 10 has a Start Menu, and is much more like Win7 than Win8. It has a few of the good parts of Win8 - download the beta version! You won't be disappointed!
Oh gawd! I just googled "what does Win 10 look like?" and please tell me I don't have to have app tiles sitting on my desktop!

I want a desktop like in Win XP where I can choose to go to the separate app screen. I rarely use the app screen. I really don't like it. Apps are for my tablet and cell phone, not my computer. :tongue:

I know you said to download the beta. Maybe I will.