• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

Online Poker May Get Caught Up In Florida's Internet Cafe Ban

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
With news this month of Floridas legislatures banning Internet cafes in the wake of a massive money laundering scheme, there have been concerns raised that online poker could inadvertently be banned in the Sunshine State as a result. The Florida House last week voted 110 to 6 to ban Internet cafes in the state.   Florida Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll resigned two weeks ago following an extensive probe into the Allied Veterans of the World charity that was suspected of running illegal gambling through statewide Internet cafes.And an unintended target:  Online poker and other potential forms of Web gambling. From LegalPokerSites.com:<em style="border:0px;font-family:inherit;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:baseline;">Online poker may be an unintended victim of this bill.  A computer may not be used if a player can enter anything to receive credits and use those credits to win anything of value.  This language could be applied to online poker and other games played over the internet for money.  Online poker may not have been the target, but it could make harder for it to become legalized and regulated in Florida.  Portions of this bill would need to be repealed without allowing the internet sweepstakes cafes another back door to reappear across Florida.<a href="http://www.gambling911.com/poker/florida-house-could-inadvertently-ban-online-poker-state-032513.html" >source</a>

Last edited by a moderator:

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
sashasmom wrote: When does this take effect? And I wonder what this means for the people in Florida right now?
A few days ago, the bill still needed to go to the Senate. As soon as it gets enough votes there and then if the governor signs it, it becomes law and all internet cafes in FL would become illegal immediately. There is a lot of concern about people losing their jobs if the ban is put in place. .... earlier this week internet café owners cried for mercy. One of those was Linda Radssek. I know there is a fine line between gambling and gaming. I have to go to work now and tell my employees, you don't have a job. As of right now, internet cafes are not illegal or banned.