• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

Sometimes You Have to Work on the Holidays

omeg

Hi all:Happy Holidays. I just took a phone call from my Sister, who is always the first one in the family to try to lock down Holiday plans.   It may be a tad early for all that, but not in her mind, and I'll tell you why.She may have to work on Christmas Day. Work on Christmas?   you might say.   Ahhh, yes, there are many people who do not have the luxury of sitting home with their families all Christmas day to eat, relax, and enjoy the festivities.                                                                                         As for myself, I remember having to work crappy jobs at convienence stores and restaurants on Christmas day.   It was ethier very very slow, or extremely busy.  These jobs didnt offer you Holiday Pay.   That was only for full time people who of course were NOT working.  LOLI was much younger when I worked the Holidays like that.  Hey, it wasnt fun, but I lived thru it.   However now that I am older, each year I see the value more and more of family and celebrating these times with your loved ones.   It would be hard to tempt me now with any amount of money to work instead of spending time with my Baby Nephew Drake on Christmas morning.  Money is no where near as important to me as that. Yet I do not live in a fog.  I know there are actually companies that will fire you if you refuse to work on Christmas or any other Holiday they decide to stay open for.   These arent always great jobs, but people need them none the less to pay bills, and put food on the table. So,  here is my questions:How do you feel about people having to work on the Holidays?Do you have a story of when you were forced to work on the Holidays? Thanks for reading ........                                                                                            Pam

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
I never had to work on Christmas but there were times when working Christmas would have been financially beneficial. Double pay baby! "
"
What irked me though, is that even though most of my jobs were closed on holidays and no one worked, they would open up a day on the weekend, where I would have to give a Sat or Sun up. I hated that. I loved my weekends off."
"
Now, it's Sat and Sun every day working from home. Gotta love that!!!

labell

I won't enter a store on a holiday! Other than a 24 hour drugstore - because people do get sick - I don't feel it's necessary to be open on those days. Yes of course the medical, emergence, security fields etc do have to work, but a convenience store? Nope, no profits for their owners for me on a holiday."
"
I've never had a job that was open on the major holidays, but I did work at a bank, and we had to be open the day before and day after. And no exceptions, no one got off those days. Boy was it exhausting...

omeg

labell wrote: I won't enter a store on a holiday! Other than a 24 hour drugstore - because people do get sick - I don't feel it's necessary to be open on those days. Yes of course the medical, emergence, security fields etc do have to work, but a convenience store? Nope, no profits for their owners for me on a holiday.I've never had a job that was open on the major holidays, but I did work at a bank, and we had to be open the day before and day after. And no exceptions, no one got off those days. Boy was it exhausting...
Such a good point, about some folks in certain fields just dont have a choice but to work as people still need services in case of health, fire police, etc. Alot of stores do stay open, pay the workers minimum wage to work on the Holidays, and collect the profits.  I couldnt agree more.  It just doesnt seem fair.                                                                                           Pam