• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

The New Face for the USD $20 Bill

Sookie

WELL KNOWN MEMBER
Harriet Tubman_ezgif-491070332.jpg

Anti-slavery crusader Harriet Tubman is seen in a picture from the Library of Congress taken photographer H.B. Lindsley between 1860 and 1870. The U.S. Treasury has decided to replace former President Andrew Jackson with Tubman on the U.S. $20 bill, and will put leaders of the women's suffrage movement on the back of $10 bill, Politico reported on Wednesday. REUTERS/Library of Congress/Handout via Reuters FOR EDITORIAL USE ONLY. NOT FOR SALE FOR MARKETING OR ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS. NO ARCHIVES. NO SALES

Abolitionist Harriet Tubman will appear on front of the $20 bill, replacing former President Andrew Jackson and becoming the first woman featured on U.S. paper currency in modern times, a Treasury official said, in a design overhaul that will leave Alexander Hamilton on the $10 note.

The decision is the latest chapter in a 10-month-old controversy that erupted after Treasury Secretary Jacob J. Lew tried to address gender imbalance on U.S. currency notes. He opened up the selection process to the public just as the current face on the $10 bill was enjoying a resurgence in popularity, and outrage ensued.

The move Lew is announcing Wednesday is intended as a way to thread the needle between women’s groups who have been advocating for gender diversity on U.S. currency and fans of Hamilton, including Lin-Manuel Miranda, the playwright and star of the hit Broadway musical about the nation’s first Treasury secretary. Miranda lobbied Lew to keep Hamilton on the $10 when he visited Washington last month.

To appease those who have been looking forward to a woman on the $10, Treasury will will change the back of the $10 – which now has an image of the Treasury Department – to include women suffragists, according to a person familiar with the plans. ()

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
That's awesome. :dollarsign:

We only have to wait 4 years though. "The new bill was set to be unveiled in 2020"

Reactions: Sookie

PSP

Ruler of Western Civilization's Geeky Nerds
While I appreciate her accomplishments and dedication to the suffragette movement, she is not exactly easy on the eyes...

:surprise:

Reactions: Mben and Sookie

PSP

Ruler of Western Civilization's Geeky Nerds
That image might make me spend money faster - just so that I am not traumatized...

Why yes,I am VERY shallow - what's your point?

:thumb:

Reactions: Mben and Sookie