• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

Travis Pastrana Jumps The Fountain At Caesar's Palace - Unsuccessful Attempt By Evel Knievel In '67

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
Travis Pastrana has cleared the fountain at Caesar’s Palace, which means the motocross maniac safely landed all three of Sunday’s planned Evel Knievel tribute jumps for History event “Evel Live.”

Riding an Indian Scout FTR 750 with a V Twin engine, Pastrana previously cleared 52 crushed cars and later 16 Greyhound buses in Las Vegas — and he did it all with flair and room to spare.

Watch the bus jump via the video above and the car one at the bottom of this post.

Knievel’s own car-jumping record was 50 automobiles. The legendary daredevil’s personal best bus sum was 14; Knievel crashed badly — and famously — at Caesar’s.

At that last one, Evel suffered a concussion, a crushed pelvis and femur, and fractures to his hip, wrist and both ankles. Knievel later blamed a speed error of about 5 m.p.h. for the 1967 failure.

Due to the sheer size, weight and makeup of his Indian motorcycle, Pastrana wasn’t really able to practice these jumps on the hog he is using tonight. The X Games alum did test runs on his trusty dirt bike, which is lighter and has much better shock absorption.

Videos of all three jumps by Pastrana today are in the source link.

source

Reactions: PMM

PSP

Ruler of Western Civilization's Geeky Nerds
I got suckered in to watch the whole 3 hour commercial for History Channel's Car Week - none of the jumps seemed all that tough. The thrill of watching Evel Knievel try those is that there was a HUGE chance that he WASN'T going to make it.

Not that I would have tried to do it, but just sayin'...

Reactions: Mben and PMM

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
I got suckered in to watch the whole 3 hour commercial for History Channel's Car Week - none of the jumps seemed all that tough. The thrill of watching Evel Knievel try those is that there was a HUGE chance that he WASN'T going to make it.

Not that I would have tried to do it, but just sayin'...
I started recording it because I was not going to sit through 3 hours of commercials. lol I saw the last 2 jumps live though. And then watched the first recorded jump.

I guess back in those days (I was 2), it was a more life and death attraction. When I saw how easily Pastrana cleared all three jumps, I thought "what was the big deal?". Almost like there was no chance of a crash.

Since the Evel Knievel days, extreme sports is at an all time high, and has "conditioned" us. Meaning yeah, it's thrilling, but everyone's doing it now. And with our current technology and safety measures, I already knew that Pastrana was going to make all his jumps. That's not saying my palms weren't sweating as I was watching though.

Reactions: PMM

PMM

For me, it is still extremely dangerous and life threatening.

You just never know what is going to0 happen.

That is the draw for me anyways.

I am glad he was successful.