• Welcome to No Deposit Forum! Please log in to continue. New members please register here. New Member Registration

Generic products....Do we Dare?

omeg

Hello everyone:I'm in a funny mood today,  and when in a funny mood, I like to talk about things that make me laugh. Heres something that makes me laugh ALOT. Generic Food/Generic products.   Just saying the word makes some of us get visuals of black and white packages with nothing more than the name of what the product is.Products such as Toilet paper, cereal, deodorant, Soda Pop and even booze.                     Now I know companies claim it is the same, and spend alot of money advertising their product over brand named. As far as food goes, you end up with names like Spagetti Hoops instead of Spagetti O's.   Fruit Hoops vs Fruit Loops.   Names like Bubba Cola and Toasted oats instead of Coca Cola and Cherrios. LOL (These names kill me)         I just wanted to share a few other food items I have tried that most certainly do NOT live up to the claim It taste just the same as Brand Name.          Generic Hotdogs: These things are just unnatural. From the taste to the color. What in God's name are these made of. The thought makes me squimish. There isn't enough Ketchup or a big enough bun out there to disquise what these things really taste like.          Macaroni and cheese: This stuff to me, taste like someone forgot the flavor packet.  It remains dry and chauky regardless of how much milk and butter you put in.  I have never found a way to not overcook the noodles. They are etheir crunchy and undone, or soggy and mush city. What exactly is that yellow powder they call cheese?            Canned Vegetables:  They claim all vegtables are good for you, however, I have a hard time believing these are even digestable.  Furthur more, I find I get more waste than food in these cans.  Oh yes, the green beans with the stems still attached. Yum Yum.          Generic Beer: Okay...Are they serious?  This stuff taste like it has already been drank and recycled, then put back into a new can.  It's lame and disqusting.  This is just one thing you can't cut corners on.            Generic Ketchup:   Remember the slogan Hienz 57 had out years ago about Anticipation?  Well anticipate this...one squirt gives you a watery, pink substance that taste like the inside of a tin can.  Yuck.         Oh, there is many out there, and I am looking forward to anyone else's experience with generic products that do not quite pass the test.Thanks for reading:                                                                              Pam    

Last edited by a moderator:

omeg

heheheh, Thanks Kitty for reading.                                                                          Pam

MommyMachine

A Mommy Machine
I feel the same way about generic laundry detergent, ugh. I can't stand it when my husband brings home something like SUN! I have lots of kids, and they have lots of stains. I would rather wash my clothes with shampoo than that stuff."
"
Speaking of shampoo, I have to use Aussie, the one in the purple bottle. The conditioner is awesome, and I have tried to use that V05 stuff, and when I get out of the shower my hair is in a million knots."
"
I couldn't agree more on the macaroni and cheese Pam. It seems the moment I pour the box into the boiling water, it turns into mush. Gross."
"
I do buy most of my other things generic, or off brands. I find that ALOT of things are the same as the name brands, without the fancy packaging. When you have a family of 7, sometimes the pretty package costs too much."
"
Soda, my husband swears that the generic stuff is mostly water, and boy does he drink alot of soda. I can handle the walmart brand, I hardly drink the stuff, but for him it has to be the real thing."
"
I can go on and on and on....lol"
"
But I won't.

omeg

Thanks for the reply MM. How could I forget to mention the dreaded laundry soap? Whats funny MM is the fact I was given a box of powdered SUN detergent froma friend, and it has been sitting on my shelf for a lonnnnng time.  I suppose one of these days I will run out, and I'll be forced to use it. hahahahAnother generic/cheap item I recommend to stay away from is TUNA FISH. Ewww.  I can't say just how bad this stuff is. My cats wont even eat it. It seems like any type of cleaning product that comes generic just doesnt hold up it's end of the bargain, yet as you said, you can find some things like cereal that seem to be pretty good. This post was meant to be a funny read. However I know all to well, most of us are struggling right now financially, and we buy what we have to buy to get by. I have even bought generic motor oil for my old hoopty.  It is supposed to be golden brown and quite thick. This stuff was darker than that, and even had a stinky smell to it.   My poor old car, it was all I could afford.                                                                                          Pam

Mben

No Deposit Forum Administrator
Staff member
I don't spend any money on generic products unless the Walmart brand is considered generic. I spend 99% of my grocery shopping at Walmart and do pick up a lot of their brand whether it be soda or toilet paper. Until recently. I was scolded to spend a couple of more pennies for the name brand stuff."
"
So now instead of Sun detergent (which is not their brand, I know and I did buy that all the time) it's Tide. Which, for the price, does a great job. "
"
Instead of Walmart TP, it's whatever name brand is on sale."
"
Tuna Fish, forget it! I can't even eat the regular tuna from StarKist. It has to be the white albacore tuna or I won't eat it. "
"
Shampoo and conditioner can be any brand but every once in a while, I'll but the expensive stuff. "
"
I'm trying to think of the real generic stuff I buy and can't think of anything. "
"
Oh, years and years ago I smoked the real GPC cigarettes. The ones in the white box. Ewwwww! lol Single parent too poor for the good stuff. Cigarettes and good stuff in the same breath. LOL"
"